How often should I feed my tetras?

Danny002

I have glowlight and ember tetras. I currently feed them Repashy gel food once a day (when I turn their lights on) and I take the food out when I notice that their stomachs starting to bulge a little. They seem to be doing good right now, but I'm wondering if I should also start feeding them at night at well, as they seem to digest the food pretty fast. I'm leaning more towards no, as I'd rather underfeed a little bit rather than overfeed too much. If I were to feed them at night, I'd probably feed frozen brine shrimp instead of the gel (I'd do 1/8th of a cube, so just a little bit). Thoughts on this? How often do you guys feed your tetras and how much do you feed?

A201

Lucky Tetras, Lol. They eat a very nutritious diet. Just a pinch of food, two or three times a day.
Try to get the feeding routine down to where very little food ever reaches the substrate. The bottom feeders will take care of the crumbs.

Danny002

Lucky Tetras, Lol. They eat a very nutritious diet. Just a pinch of food, two or three times a day.
Try to get the feeding routine down to where very little food ever reaches the substrate. The bottom feeders will take care of the crumbs.
For now they eat off the bottom, as I can't keep a grip on their food lol. But they'll be moving to a new tank soon so I'm going to make a little dish feeder that can suction cup to the glass. They don't seem to mind eating off the bottom for now but I imagine that will change once their cory buddies move in!

!poogs!

I feed all my fish including my tetras, once per day. They really don't need to eat more than once a day. There are people in the hobby that will do a skip day. A day without any food as a reset. A lot of times we assign human qualities to our pet feeding schedule, when in the wild fish and other animals go days without eating.

Fish are opportunistic feeders. They will eat whatever they recognize as food, yes some are picky. A strategy I like to use in my aquariums is rotating different food through their diet. Blood worms, tubiflex worms, brine shrimp. Every other day I alternate between pellets and flake food. I use shrimp as a treat in one of tanks with larger more aggressive eaters. Why? because if I ever run out of a food or cant get a certain food, I can fall back on a larger menu without having to worry about picky fish that wont eat. I go a little overboard because I am trying to keep fish in ready to spawn and mate condition.

So I would say once a day with a little variety.

Pythia

I used to feed my deceased tetras two times a day.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • KodiakTimber
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
Cawafuoshi
  • Prevasist
  • Tetras
Replies