How Often Should I Feed My Betta?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by missa124816, Apr 21, 2018.

1. missa124816

missa124816New MemberMember

Hey everyone!
    I just posted something yesterday so I feel a bit bothersome posting again, but I just thought I'd ask. I've looked it up and I've seen answers vary so thought I'd get some opinions on here. I feed my betta twice a day, about 4 pellets in the morning and 2-3 at night. He eats all of it and pretty hastily too, I learned quickly he likes his food.
    So I'm just wondering, is it bad to feed him twice a day that much? I mean, he's eating it all! I know answers vary from once a day to once a week, which I'll never do once a week. I wouldn't want to eat once a week even though I could survive, so I don't want to do that to him.
    Just thought I'd ask some different opinions and see what you all do!
    And also, I make sure that he eats all the pellets so they don't drop to the bottom. We've gotten into a good routine where he knows I'm feeding him and goes to the top. However, he doesn't always catch every one so I make sure I only feed him two at a time for a feeding so he catches them all. Just putting that out there so you know there's not a lot of food piling up at the bottom!

2. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

it depends on the pellet size. if the pellets are small then its fine to feed as much as you are already. i usually feed twice a day 3-4 pellets per feeding because the pellets i use are very small. if your betta is eating them all and isnt having issues with bloat them i think how your feeding him now is fine

3. OP
    OP
    missa124816

missa124816New MemberMember

Awesome! Thank you! The pellets are very small so I’ll keep doing what I’m doing!

4. WanhiBetta

WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

I feed my betta only one pellet a day, maximum 2. If I feed more he gets bloated. Many people overfeed their bettas and it makes them bloated frequently. I'd say you should feed less, not more than 3 in one day. Also it is recommended to fast him at least once a week....

keep in mind that a fish stomach is as big as it's eyes....

5. Lorraine.Kelly

Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

I feed all my fish every two days. I used to do what it says on the box but I found most of it sat on the bottom of the tank and pond to rot. So I cut it to once a day and found that after they had a good feed the next day they wouldn’t be bothered so I cut it to every two days and now when they get fed they eat everything and I give them as much as they will eat and take out the rest.
    I give my pleco his pellets twice a week.
    Cuts down on waste and pollution to.