Question How often should i feed as of right now?

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok so im new to fishlore.com and new to posting on anything but videogame threads so be gentle with me lol. i currently have: 1black redfined shark about 2iches, 2prestilla tetras about 1.5inches, 1clown pleco about 3inches, and 1Khulli loach about 2.5inches in my 55g hex tank. my question is how often should i feed? im feeding flakes for the tetras and shrimp pellets for the loach right now and i feed everyother day for both. i have 2 small pieces of driftwood for my clown pleco. am i feeding enuf? or overfeeding? 90% of my expierence with fish has been oscars so im new to community tanks with smaller schooling type fish.

almost forgot: tank has been set up with just pleco in it for around 2months or so. i have a friend that takes care of most of the chemistry stuff for the tank. and the reason i only have a few fish at the moment is because im trying to introduce them slowly to my fairly new setup tank.

Last edited:

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and welcome to the Forum!

I think your feeding schedule is fine. Some feed every day, some every other day. As long as you aren't overfeeding at any one time, you'll be fine.

Are you planning on building up your stock, using your current fish? For example, I have 5 kuhli loaches. They really do embrace being in a group, as do the tetras. Keep your shark as a lone shark, though.

Even though you have a friend that takes your readings for you, make sure you know what those readings are. It will prove to be very important if you end up with a sick tank.

And also, it really will be worth it to buy yourself an API Master Kit (liquid) and have your friend teach you how to take readings and keep track of them. We actually keep an Excel spreadsheet in a laptop we keep near the tanks solely for that purpose.

Last edited:

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thanx for the info

yea im adding many more fish to my tank i was thinking of getting 4more prestillas and 3more khullis with an addition of 6zebrah danio's and 6 columbian tetras.

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
is that going to be to little of bottom space for all the bottom dwelling fish i have? that would be 6 in a 55hex..

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pristellas are fun little tetras!! They actually nibble on my hands when doing tank stuff. They are the first to get the food, once the cardinals are on alert...I tap on the glass and the cardinals try to guess which end of the tank I will feed from....the Pristellas then watch my hand and literally splash the surface to get the first bite...lol

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would say that the clown loach will have to go. I'm sorry.

Clown loaches are highly gregarious and require big schools (5 and up). But they grow huge (6 inches or more). A normal clown loach tank will have at least 100 gallons. A hex tank, even a 55 gal, cannot provide that. The loach might also fight the shark for space and territory.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom