How often should I clean my tank?

1. annaberg1067

annaberg1067 Valued Member Member

I want a solid answer. I have heard everything from once a week to every month. I have a 45 gallon with 2 gourami, platys, and kuhli loaches, a rt shark, pictus cf, and a bumblebee cf. thank you

2. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry but you are overstocked red-tailed sharks and pictus catfish need a larger tank.

3. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Stocking issues aside...

My solid answer is weekly.

But you should definitely look into your stock a bit

4. OP
    OP
    annaberg1067

annaberg1067 Valued Member Member

Ok. I am hoping to invest in a 75 gallon in the future but for now they are going to have to wait. Luckily the rt shark is only a few months old and the catfish is new. How often should I change the water?

Ok thank you. Will a 75 gallon be ok? I am hoping to invest in one in the future.

5. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

Thanks for doing what is best for your fish! they will love the extra space.:)

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

There really is no solid answer as this differs from person to person, activity in the tank, stocking, plants in the tank, water temps, parameters, etc.

What does your water parameters tell you? Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate?

When I had my 36 gallon tank ( I had about 25-30 fish ) I would do a 50% water change every 2 weeks. My nitrates were barely measurable.

With my 72 gallon, I have about 30/35 fish and about 100 snails. I also do a 50% water change every 2 weeks based on my readings.

My 5 gallon QT tank ( shrimp and baby pleco tank at the moment ) gets a 50% water change EVERY week.

7. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Another "it depends". My answer is at Least weekly, but more often if the bioload is such that your nitrates rise close to 20-40 part way through. Fish thrive on clean water.

I have to say, the thing that allows me to do weekly 50% water changes is a Python water changer which attaches to my tap. Without having to haul buckets o drain and refill about 15 gallons in just over 30 minutes. I try to rinse the filter pads monthly in old tap water. Hope that helps. I like using the API master kit because it takes a lot of the guess work out. I choose to keep my nitrates at or below 20, therefore I have to do weekly water changes given my tank's bioload and the fact my tap water had 5ppm nitrates too. Good luck.