How often should I change water?

elisa001

I currently have a 29 gal with 1 goldfish and a snail. It has a penguin HOB filter (200 gph) rated for 30 to 50 gallons and a sponge filter rated for up to 15 gallons. I do about 30% - 50% water changes every week.

I am upgrading to a 55 gal and for now will only use the 2 filters I have for the 30gal. How often should I do water changes and how much? Do you guys think I should get another filter or are the 2 I have now sufficient?

Jennalovesanimals

Wow good job on the awesome goldfish setup! With a 55 you could add a couple more goldfish, granted they are fancy goldfish, and your filters combined with your water changes are 100% sufficient if you wanted to add another filter you could for sure though!

CHJ

If you are not adding anything else your bioload has not changed, you just have more water to spread it out in.
So if your filtration works with your bioload it will still work with it in a larger tank.

Now if you are going to go adding more stuff then you look at additional filtration.
This is a gold fish not a koi right?

elisa001

Yes it’s a fancy Oranda goldfish. I was thinking after everything is set up I could get 1 or 2 more goldfish.

Jennalovesanimals

Yes it’s a fancy Oranda goldfish. I was thinking after everything is set up I could get 1 or 2 more goldfish.
Sounds like an awesome tank

e_watson09

Weekly water changes is perfect

flyinGourami

Depending on nitrates, I would do one 50 percent water change each week. Goldfish are social, they do like to have friends and you could get him another fancy in that sized tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views
TheFishFella
  • Question
Replies
Views
thatfishlover122
Replies