How often should I change water during a nitrite spike?

RayMichelle

TWO TANKS
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master test kit + API Gh and KH test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0.5ppm
Nitrite: 1.00ppm
Nitrate: 10.00ppm
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? two small pinches using tweezers
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze-dried

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I have a 20h gallon tank that has been running for two months with five female bettas and several live plants. I use a fluval aquaclear 30 power filter. I've been experiencing high nitrites for a couple of weeks now and now there's ammonia in my tank. I had a small presence of ammonia previously, but it went away quickly until today. It was advised to me to perform a 50% water change daily until the beneficial bacteria gets a chance to catch up. I've been doing so with seachem prime + aquarium salt for the poisoning. I've reduced feeding and made sure that my filter is running properly. My question is, should I perform water changes less often? Maybe take out less water per change? Is there anything else I can do to help my fish? They do not seem to be showing signs of distress, but I know it's only a matter of time and I'm getting desperate.

What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Test Kit + API GH and KH Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 1.00ppm
Nitrite: 2.00ppm

Feeding
How much do you feed your fish? One pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari Vibra Bites
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? freeze-dried

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I have a 10 gallon tank with five Cory catfish (two emeralds and three unknown species of albino) and several live plants. My ammonia has spiked out of nowhere today (there hasn't been presence of ammonia in this tank since I cycled it) and I've been experiencing high nitrites for two weeks. I've done 50% daily water changes with seachem prime, as was advised to me, but I'm worried that the person who told me that was wrong and I've disrupted the cycle. Help please.

jtjgg

did you do anything with the filter? change out the filter media? rinsed the filter media with tap water?

please test your tap water for ammonia and nitrite.

what is your regular water change schedule?

Upvote 0

RayMichelle

TWO TANKS
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master test kit + API Gh and KH test kit
Ammonia: 0.5ppm
Nitrite: 1.00ppm

Feeding
How much do you feed your fish? two small pinches using tweezers
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze-dried

I have a 20h gallon tank that has been running for two months with five female bettas and several live plants. I use a fluval aquaclear 30 power filter. I've been experiencing high nitrites for a couple of weeks now and now there's ammonia in my tank. I had a small presence of ammonia previously, but it went away quickly until today. It was advised to me to perform a 50% water change daily until the beneficial bacteria gets a chance to catch up. I've been doing so with seachem prime + aquarium salt for the poisoning. I've reduced feeding and made sure that my filter is running properly. My question is, should I perform water changes less often? Maybe take out less water per change? Is there anything else I can do to help my fish? They do not seem to be showing signs of distress, but I know it's only a matter of time and I'm getting desperate.

What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Test Kit + API GH and KH Test Kit
Ammonia: 1.00ppm
Nitrite: 2.00ppm

Feeding
How much do you feed your fish? One pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari Vibra Bites
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? freeze-dried

I have a 10 gallon tank with five Cory catfish (two emeralds and three unknown species of albino) and several live plants. My ammonia has spiked out of nowhere today (there hasn't been presence of ammonia in this tank since I cycled it) and I've been experiencing high nitrites for two weeks. I've done 50% daily water changes with seachem prime, as was advised to me, but I'm worried that the person who told me that was wrong and I've disrupted the cycle. Help please.
I found the cause in the second tank. Two of my fish died among the foliage. I still have no idea what's wrong with the first.
did you do anything with the filter? change out the filter media? rinsed the filter media with tap water?

The only thing I did with the filter (and it was after a long time of this) was rinse out the intake tube to ensure proper flow. I have tested my tap water for ammonia before and there was none but I will test it for nitrite.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

When using Prime a small percentage ( around 1 ppm) of combined ammonia and nitrites is neutralised for 48 hours. If your combined nitrites and ammonia is higher than 1 ppm daily water changes are required. If combined nitrites and ammonia are less than 1 ppm water changes every 48 are safe enough. I will try not to complicate things by offering a chart on how a low PH makes the ammonia harmless at certain temperatures. Let’s just say any ammonia is toxic even though it’s not that simple?

I personally would suggest 40 - 45 % water changes daily. Because for one thing we all have trouble guessing how much to allow for substrate ornaments etc . Half the water is never half the side of the tank?

When cycling a tank do not deep clean the gravel. Do not clean the filter. Do not clean any hard surfaces including the glass. Sorry even the front panel should not be cleaned if you can possibly put up with it for the next month?

jtjgg asks a good question.
Do you have ammonia or nitrites in your tap water today ?

I ask if you are adding conditioner ( prime ) to all change water?

Upvote 0

RayMichelle

When using Prime a small percentage ( around 1 ppm) of combined ammonia and nitrites is neutralised for 48 hours. If your combined nitrites and ammonia is higher than 1 ppm daily water changes are required. If combined nitrites and ammonia are less than 1 ppm water changes every 48 are safe enough. I will try not to complicate things by offering a chart on how a low PH makes the ammonia harmless at certain temperatures. Let’s just say any ammonia is toxic even though it’s not that simple?

I personally would suggest 40 - 45 % water changes daily. Because for one thing we all have trouble guessing how much to allow for substrate ornaments etc . Half the water is never half the side of the tank?

When cycling a tank do not deep clean the gravel. Do not clean the filter. Do not clean any hard surfaces including the glass. Sorry even the front panel should not be cleaned if you can possibly put up with it for the next month?

jtjgg asks a good question.
Do you have ammonia or nitrites in your tap water today ?

I ask if you are adding conditioner ( prime ) to all change water?
I will take your advice into consideration. Thank you! To answer your question, I always add prime when I do my water changes.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

What was your normal water change regimen before the spikes?

Upvote 0

RayMichelle

What was your normal water change regimen before the spikes?
25% once a week

I just tested my tap water and both came out to zero. My regular schedule is 25% once a week

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
emilymg
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views