10 Gallon Tank how often should i change the water?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ok, so before i say anything, im just going to say that its as temperary as i can make it (tho it may not be, and its not my choise), and i dont like it as much as you guys dont like it (probly even more because i have to see it every day).

anyway, now that that has been said, i have a 4 inch blue/3 spot gourami, a 4 1/2 inch rainbow shark, 4 inch white-spot doradid, a 3 1/2 inch scissor tail rasbora and 4 cuban ditch fish (kinda like guppies) shoved up in a ten gallon. i just changed 1/2 of their water thursday, and rinsed all the gunk out of the filter wendsday (because its a new cart) and took out some mystery pond-water chunks (they came from my uncle and before they were broght to me, he forgot the water was draining out of thier original tank, a 45 or 55 gallon corner tank, and they either had to let the fish die or get water from the pond...). so i was wondering how often i should change the water out? i was thinking at least 30% twice a week, but i wanted to be sure.

Last edited:

Marc M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am no expert but I would do change some every day. Another option would be to go to walmart and pick up another 10G and heater for 25 bucks to split them up. As you mentioned, they need a much bigger tank.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah i'm sure you don't like seeing them crammed like that. so you said you rinsed the filter cartridge. did you rinse it in tank water? that would be how to rinse it without losing the good bacteria. but don't over clean it, or it could throw you into a mini cycle. that happened to me once.

what kind of filter do you have on it? it would be good if you were over filtering...since there are so many fish. but i'd say twice a week, or maybe 3 times at about 30%. you'll just have to keep an eye on the water params to make sure things are ok. the liquid api is the way to go.

even though you say it could be temporary, you should think about the possibility of maybe giving some away, or trying to take them to a lfs for a credit. because you said it's not up to you whether you can put them in a bigger tank. those fish really shouldn't be in there.....i know you know that....but there are options.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am no expert but I would do change some every day. Another option would be to go to walmart and pick up another 10G and heater for 25 bucks to split them up. As you mentioned, they need a much bigger tank.
i would if could, but my mom didnt even want these guys in the 1st place. i even asked her if i could get a FREE 50-ish gallon that just need the side glass replaced, a hood (which could be made out of acrylic because she runs a window company and miss-orders are more common then they should be), a filter and a stand (which we could also make!) -sigh- she's such a pain... also, i dont think daily changes would be possible either. she complains about every other WEEK on my 20 gallon! >=-(

sorry if im being a pain in the butt =( its not my fault...

yeah i'm sure you don't like seeing them crammed like that. so you said you rinsed the filter cartridge. did you rinse it in tank water? that would be how to rinse it without losing the good bacteria. but don't over clean it, or it could throw you into a mini cycle. that happened to me once.

what kind of filter do you have on it? it would be good if you were over filtering...since there are so many fish. but i'd say twice a week, or maybe 3 times at about 30%. you'll just have to keep an eye on the water params to make sure things are ok. the liquid api is the way to go.

even though you say it could be temporary, you should think about the possibility of maybe giving some away, or trying to take them to a lfs for a credit. because you said it's not up to you whether you can put them in a bigger tank. those fish really shouldn't be in there.....i know you know that....but there are options.
i scrubbed the filter cart off in tap water (i know i shouldnt, but it was reeeeally gunked up with all kinds of pond scum and i need the water pressure...)

i have the 10 gallon Tetra (or Aqua Culture. same thing) starter kit from walmart. it has a 5-15 gallon filter on it, but its been abused and missused, so i dont think its at the top of its game any more. i have considered re-homeing the rasbora and catfish (not sure about the ditch fish yet tho. im a bit of a sucker for live bearers ^_^'> )

Last edited:

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i also did think about putting the guppies into the 10 gallon and the new guys into the 20 long. in not sure yet, tho. i think i wunna let them settle in for a few weeks and make sure they dont have any creepy-crawlies (as it were lol) and decide from there... it would mean that the guppies move out of my room tho, and they're so fun to watch D= i hate decisions!!! T_T (lol)

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tapwater has chlorine, which kills beneficial bacteria. I would strongly suggest not doing this again. If you want to rinse in tapwater, gather some in a bucket, dechlorinate it, and then rinse the filter in that.

I would do large water changes daily. If you don't have an appropriate home for these fish, and your mom is a pain, how did you end up getting them?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so i moved them in to the 20 gallon, and every body seems ALOT happier tho the gourami still hides alot, and wont est while im near the tank... also, yeaterday, my dad brought home a perfectly good 30 gallon tank that some one from a high school here was throwing out (because their fish died) and so i was wondering it i should move them into it in few weeks, of if i should stop tramtizing them and leave them in the 20 long, and give the guppies back their home?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom