Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

How Often Should I Change Fishes

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by thamizha, Apr 19, 2019.

1. thamizhaNew MemberMember

I've started with 2 platys 2 years ago, they bred and had little fishes, some survived and I added new platys from the same fish store i got the originals from as some fishes died and so forth. Essentially - all one big huge family. For the last one year - I've been running with 1 mom, 4 daughters and 1 son. They've essentially stopped breeding so I'm considering my next steps.

I could just buy one male Platy from my LFS but it's going to be from the same family (going back many generations) or I could buy that from PetsAtHome or some similar bigger store to ensure a different strain of platy.

My wife suggests that I give away or sell the fishes back to the LFS and consider starting fresh with some other more colorful fishes. She's tired of the standard Orange coloring.

what do you folks do when your tank is a few years old and the fishes appear to be stagnating?

thanks
    Vijay

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

Change it up. Rehome the current fish. Thoroughly research all desired new fish, then start a new.

3. MorosithValued MemberMember

My first couple years in the hobby I was always reading about something new and wanting to move on to the next stocking arrangement in my tank.

Platys are great fish but I could understand eventually growing bored with them. There is nothing wrong with rehoming them and moving on to something that you and your wife find more exciting. If ease of care, rapid reproduction, and color is what you're looking for, there is no shortage of any of that when it comes to fancy guppies. If you want to move on from livebearers altogether, there is a host of other species out there.