How often should I buy new fish food?

Ssnaaiil

I have some pellets, flakes and freeze dried daphnia, they have been open for 1-2 years…should I buy new foods? Do they lose nutritional value after being open for so long?

SotaAquatics

After 1-2 years, yes, you should buy some new food, at least for the flakes and pellets, I am not sure on freeze dried daphnia. The food will oxidize over time once opened, becoming stale and losing nutritional value. I don't think there is a scientific answer to this... yet... some will say a 1 year limit, others 6, and others buy enough food for only 2-3 months. Personally I buy enough flakes for about 2 months at a time max, pellets I usually let go a little longer, closer to 6 months. I would toss food if it was over a year old even if it doesn't smell stale.

Cody

I think I really you want to use it within a year. But I think it’s really more of the issue of it getting stale. I have a small food container that I keep a month or two worth of food in. I place the rest in the freezer and top off as needed. This will make the food last much longer by avoiding it going stale.

How much longer? Not totally sure. But it is the best way to have something last longer

Flyfisha

You guys have potato chips don’t you? Perhaps you call them crisps? If you open a packet of any of that kind of man made processed food how does it taste after a month from being open?

I toss six month old dry fish food in the bin.

Ssnaaiil

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to be buying new fish foods! I want to make sure my fishy friends are well taken care of.

BigManAquatics

At the very least, at least pay attention to the expiration date!

Dewclaw83

I have some pellets, flakes and freeze dried daphnia, they have been open for 1-2 years…should I buy new foods? Do they lose nutritional value after being open for so long?
Most fish foods have an expiration date on them somewhere, follow that for guidance. (Assuming the container is sealed when not in use, and is kept dry, etc)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JettsPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
aquachris
  • Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha