How often should I be feeding?

1. jcblair77 Member Member

I don't want to be one to fill this forum with silly questions but I'm genuniely curious about this. I've heard about feeding fish 1 - 3 times a day. Since I've started I would always just feed mine once in the morning. I was always worried about obese fish since I had an obese danio once. Now I'm starting to think I should be feeding twice a day though. I have a female Platy that hasn't grown much at all in the two and a half months I've had her. She's still only 1.5in at most. I've never seen a Platy stay so small. It likely has to do with the fact that she wasn't crazy about the flake food and really only wanted freeze dried blood worms which I know is really bad. I've recently switched to a granule/pellet type food that she loves. I also purchased frozen brine shrimp to feed maybe every other day. The other thing is that there is a female baby betta in the tank now. Before anyone freaks out, the betta isn't agressive at all and they get a long fine. I know the betta should be fed a good amount to grow to full size so is twice a day more appropriate?
    It may not make a huge difference and this may be a bit of a dumb question to ask but I just want to have healthy fish. The platy is very active, full of personality, etc, just very small and I'm not sure if the growth was just stunted or not. So basically I want to feed them twice a day but I'm a little concerned about having it be too much and cause weight problems. Such a small thing to worry about but I thought I'd ask for an opinion.

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have always fed my fish 1 time, every other day. I have a community tank with about 50 fish ( Danios, guppies, Tetra's, loaches. catfish,plecos )

I always believed QUALITY food over QUANTITY and feed NLS, Algae tablets, shrimp pellets, fresh veggies as well as once a week treats ( Bloodworms, Daphnia, Baby brine shrimp )

I think the only fish that should be fed several times daily are babies/fry because fish will keep eating as much as you put in there and will end up overweight, etc.
    There area lot of different opinions on this and this is what I DO.

3. peregrine Member Member

I would read the directions on the package. I personally feed my fish twice a day, but always what they can eat in 2-3 minutes

4. jcblair77 Member Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm feeding tetramin tropical granules which seem fairly good as far as quality goes. I'm not sure how often I'll give the frozen brine shrimp. I think the shrimp will be good for the betta specifically. Definitely will only be giving freeze dried treats once a week at most. They don't have much nutritional value as far as I'm aware. I'll have to try the veggies soon! And possibly the algae tablets.

In the past I would just feed my guppies, danios flakes and nothing else when I had them. I don't think that was the healthiest option and I'm always looking to improves my fish's lives. I know everyone does something different so I may just experiment and see what works best.

The packaging is pretty vague. Just says feed what they will eat in 2-3 minutes per feeding. But only a few granules per feeding for betta. Pretty sure the brine shrimp packaging said similar. Not sure what I'll do yet. Maybe I'll try twice a day until my betta is fully grown.

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I think ALL fish food has that on their label as a general guideline.

I would try and get the best quality food you can - I don't know about fish as much but I presume it will be the same as humans and other animals. I feed my cats wellness brand food ( its 3 times the amount of say Purina ) but I feel they are more healthy and the food is quality. I noticed since switching over ( 2 years ago ) that they produce 1/3 less waste in the litter box, and generally seem more healthy ( alert and playful - my one 11 year old cat is like a kitten )
    I also try and incorporate healthy foods for my family ( although I am not a organic-nazi ) I do try and get the best I can and try and stay away from highly processed foods. So bottom line, I think for prolonged life and general health, feeding the best quality foods is the key versus feeding non nutritional stuff every day.

6. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I only feed once a day with my betta and just about 3-4 pellets during feeding. I feed two different pellets Omega mini pellets, and new life spectrum for betta pellets. With frozen shrimp cubes I cut off a small sliver and thaw it out then feed with a syringe, I do this twice a week.

I have recently started to also feed a deshelled pea soaked in garlic guard once a week.

7. jcblair77 Member Member

Makes sense! I totally agree. Feeding the cheap flake food was awful. The tank would get filthy fast and the uneaten flakes actually clogged the filter. I assume with a better diet these fish will stay healthy for as long as possible

Okay thanks! I'll definitely do the shrimp twice a week then. I've been wondering if they'll eat deshelled peas or not so maybe I'll give it a try.

8. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

They will eat the pea, though mine only likes it if I add the garlic guard. She has gotten bloat in the past and me doing the pea once a week seems to prevent that.