How often/much to change water with cherry shrimp

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How often and how much water should I change with cherry shrimp in my tank? I know they can be sensitive to new water parameters so I don’t want them dying... I usually do a 70% water change every 4 days with my fish but I don’t think I will be doing that with my shrimp in there.... wondering what others recommended for water changes with shrimps...

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I do 10% every 1.5 weeks or longer as I watch my TDS and shoot for 250-260.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jack B Nimble said:
I do 10% every 1.5 weeks or longer as I watch my TDS and shoot for 250-260.
What is tds? I’ve heard of checking gh, kh, ph and that stuff but never heard of tds

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do 15% weekly
But at the moment with two tanks I'm trying 15% fortnightly just to see what differences there may be

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ssnaaiil said:
How often and how much water should I change with cherry shrimp in my tank? I know they can be sensitive to new water parameters so I don’t want them dying... I usually do a 70% water change every 4 days with my fish but I don’t think I will be doing that with my shrimp in there.... wondering what others recommended for water changes with shrimps...
I do it once per week and my cherries don't appreciate it anyway.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ssnaaiil said:
What is tds? I’ve heard of checking gh, kh, ph and that stuff but never heard of tds
TDS is short for Total Dissolved Solids which is made up of inorganic and organic substances and without very sophisticated gear cannot be measured but we can use a tds meter to give us a reading of these collectively, by doing this we can use the reading as a guide to tell us what may be going on in the tank, taking it a little step further I use RO water which as a reading of zero tds so I have to add minerals to the water to raise to my desired reading which then in turn gives me a pretty close approximation of my GH which is the important reading with shrimp, also doing weekly water changes replenishes much needed minerals,

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sprinkle said:
I do it once per week and my cherries don't appreciate it anyway.
Mine always fly and jump around the tank when I do a change, even a tiny one like 5% or less when sucking out debris like food, molts or leaf litter. Maybe I mistake their agitation for enjoyment.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well from reading here only change water every other week. 50%. Thing is these 2 shrimp tanks are the dirtiest tank I have. Both get gravel vacuumed and the water comes out brown. The debris in the gravel is unbelievable. Never have a noticeable problem with the shrimp. They seem fine throughout the change. And I’m not a water tester so have no idea what’s going on there :).

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ROFEA said:
Mine always fly and jump around the tank when I do a change, even a tiny one like 5% or less when sucking out debris like food, molts or leaf litter. Maybe I mistake their agitation for enjoyment.
I that your shrimp are happy :D
My shrimp don't appreciate any hard work I'm doing for them, they just keep digging in the soil or digging in plants. When they will get tired of the digging?

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I change 30-40 % twice a week.
I don't think what I do is conventional by the hobby.
Works for myself.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom