How Often for Water Changes Question

1. cptjack526 Member Member

Hello Everyone! I need advice. How often should I do partial water changes, 100% water changes, and thorough cleaning of gravel/decorations? This is for several 3 gallon uncycled water tanks with filter, heater, gravel, 1 log, 2 silk plants, and one betta each. Right now I'm doing 50% water changes every four to five days and a complete breakdown/cleaning of the tanks once a month. Please advice if I'm not doing it right. Thanks!!!

2. smee82 Well Known Member Member

A 50% water change every week is more then enough you don't need to tear down you tank for cleaning unless there is a problem. However you should clean 1/2 of your filter material every month or 2 months depending on how quickly they get dirty.

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I agree. A complete breakdown is unnecessary and may do more harm than good. You say your tank is not cycled? How long has it been running? Do you test your water params? If so, how? Liquid test kit?

4. cptjack526 Member Member

I've had the tanks for several months now. I do test my water with liquid test kit. Parameters have always been acceptable. I just want to make sure that I am maintaining the tanks properly. I thought I read here that the smaller the tanks, the more water changes have to be made. I thought I had to do more than 50% water changes per week. The water in the tanks are never crystal clear although the parameters seem fine.

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

On my 36 gallon, I would do a pwc EVERY week - about 25-50% even if my nitrates were barely measurable.

I think it depends on you, your tank etc. I just did that to set up a routine. I did this for 2 + years.

Now I am running my 72 gallon and while Nitrates are barely measurable at 2 weeks, I do a 25% or maybe a bit more EVERY 2 weeks. Its just a good habit to get in to and keep up with the routine.

I think ALL tanks can benefit from a pwc at least once a week. I wouldn't do it any more frequently because of stress to the fish. Just my opinion - I'm sure others have things to say ;)

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I do weekly water changes in all my tanks at a rate of 75%. In your smaller tanks, 50-75% weekly would be my recommendation. I agree with everyone on there being no need in breaking down your tanks weekly for cleaning. Best of luck.

7. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

PWCs of >50% per week is ideal. Once the tank is cycled never tear the tank down, else you have to re-cycle again.