How Often Do You Observe Your Fish?

IchthyPen

Reaction score
My favorite thing to do when I come home is to feed my fish and simply relax while I watch them eat and swim. I love to watch them as I get to know each individuals' personalities, likes, dislikes and who they typically buddy up with. The one other thing I like about getting to observe them is that I can keep a better eye on their health and notice any signs of illness faster. I just love to watch them, feed them, care and learn all about them. It is also quite relaxing to me. All the anxieties of the day finally stop gnawing at me and in the time of watching them, my mind will finally quiet with only a glowing happiness and sense of relaxation and safety cocooning me while I watch them go about their lives and I always love to know the personalities of my fish and talk to them.

My question here is how often do you observe your fish? How long and do you notice things easier? Is it a relaxing activity to you? I would like to know how many watch their fish for hours on end or watch them every few minutes of the day and I very much would like to know how relaxing it is to you! I would also like to know if I am not the only one who talks to the fish as well. I find talking to them feels more secure and just easier than talking to people and it is also at times makes me feel much better. They are like my little best friends.

I would greatly appreciate every answer feeding my curiousity and thank you for reading my post. I hope you and your fish a good day.
~IchthyPen

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sometimes in photos i see things but mainly 2mins per every betta (10) 3 times a day. In the morning 7am, when i get home 3pm and right before the tanks turn off 9pm.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been busy non stop recently but I watch them in short bursts of 5 minutes about 3-5 times a day

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'll generally scan my tank for a few minutes every hour or so, and then watch for a few minutes before lights out.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a hard time watching a movie in the living room because my 20 Long is on the opposite side of the room. So I keep looking the wrong way and watching the fish. Lol. I would love to be able to figure out a way to fit my crayfish tank in the same room where I could watch him more too.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I see them every freaking min of the day as I work from home. So I walk by the 55g and they look at me. The 90g is in the nook area and they look at me...freaking stalkers.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JLeeM said:
I have a hard time watching a movie in the living room because my 20 Long is on the opposite side of the room. So I keep looking the wrong way and watching the fish. Lol. I would love to be able to figure out a way to fit my crayfish tank in the same room where I could watch him more too.
Lol. Same here. I get easily distracted between watching a movie and staring at my fish.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I only spend about five minutes in the morning, which is when I feed them.
They get two meals a day, and I often peek into the tank when I walk by.

I have three bettas and a community tank. I've also got my kiddos that live in a 55 gallon, they are Caribbean hermit crabs.

Haasio

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I hang around my Dwarf Gourami's tank when I've got free time on the weekends, but only a few minutes during feeding during the weekdays (ack, homework). Soliloquy has a very sweet personality from what I've seen, he comes up to the tank's edge to greet my when I walk in and stares at me when I draw next to his tank

However, this IS the same fish who absolutely mutilated the stinkbug that fell into the tank. I left him alone while I was in school, and came home to see the body of a stinkbug missing the head and all legs floating on the surface.

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fanatic said:
I only spend about five minutes in the morning, which is when I feed them.
They get two meals a day, and I often peek into the tank when I walk by.

I have three bettas and a community tank. I've also got my kiddos that live in a 55 gallon, they are Caribbean hermit crabs.
I really wish that people bred hermit crabs, as they are one of the most neglected pets, I’m not saying that there are no responsible owners, but so many people impulse buy and don’t like them, so they end up releasing their crabs out to the wild, and that spreads diseases and invasive species.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
trash.binh91 said:
I really wish that people bred hermit crabs, as they are one of the most neglected pets, I’m not saying that there are no responsible owners, but so many people impulse buy and don’t like them, so they end up releasing their crabs out to the wild, and that spreads diseases and invasive species.
Oh there are! I am currently with a breeder from another forum, she got her zoea today

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have red cherry shrimp, no fish at the moment, and how much time I spend with them really varies day to day. Sometimes when things are hectic I really only see them for a few min when I turn the lights on and off. Other times, mainly when I feed them, I start watching them and simply can't look away. I completely lose track of time. Our initial population dwindled and we eventually ended up with just snails, which was really boring, but we restocked with 6 young adults and have had 2 batches of babies, and now the tank is FULL of shrimp! As the population has increased, I find myself much more interested in them. It's way more fun to watch when you don't have to spend a long time just hoping to see a shrimp. As of a few days ago, females from our first batch of babies are berried or have visibly full ovaries and that's when things get really exciting. I love looking for eggs and hatchlings!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom