Question how often do you loose fish

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi All
I am a beginner at this. Doing it since december 2009
This morning I lost a redwag platy. The reason was not due to any diseases or water quality seems it was a victim of bullying.

This is the 2nd platy i have lost
so since december 2009 till today i have lost 2 fish. so thats 1 every 2.5 months

I would like to hear from all of you. When you started how many fish did you loose and often did you loose fish and the reasons? What about now? what experience do you have in years/months and how often do you loose fish.

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm sorry to hear about your platyWhen I first started fish keeping I lost 3 fish.Two were neon tetras and they got eaten by the angelfish.The 3rd was a kissing gourami.I'm guessing something was wrong with the fish when I got it(it came from wal-mart) because all of my other fish were fine.Today I have been fish keeping for around 2 years and surprisingly I have not had a fish die after those 3 I lost.Everybody loses a fish eventually

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sorry to hear about your losses. When I started into the hobby many years ago, I lost a lot of fish. However, the information available back in the 1960's (and until fairly recently) just didn't exist.

I lost 15 Discus about 10 to 12 years ago due to a 3 day power outage and before Fish Lore

Most of my losses in the past 10 years have been due to old age (not mine but the fish lol)

Sometimes you may experience equipment malfunctions resulting in fish loss, sometimes fish take the leap of faith and flee the tank. Water quality issues are a major cause of fish loss. Too, you don't always know how old a fish is when you buy it or it could be diseased prior to you making the purchase.

Ken

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah A48 you dont really k now how old the fish is when u get it. Coming to to think about the platies I got when i started the tank in December and they were actually fully grown (lenght wise about 5cm).
so its almost sure its old age. My levels are fine and there were no signs of diseases or flashing or white spots

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When was 10 I used to lose ALL of my fish.. I probably made my mother waste over $500 worth of fish. Now that I'm more experienced, I haven't lost a single one! It just takes a little time and effort

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
im new to the fish hobby. i started back in Oct 2009 because i daughter wanted a pet and fish are all we can have in our apt that doesnt require a $300 deposit. we started with 2 orange guppies. we lost one 3 days later. we think he was sick when we bought him because all he did was attack the other fish and he wouldnt eat. the night before he passed he mouth was stuck open. it didnt stop him from attacking the other fish but it was gross. after he died we bought 2 more guppies, another orange one and a yellow one. we upgraded from a 1.5 gal to a 10 gal in December and got one more guppy (turquoise) 2 male mollies (black and silver) and two male black phantom tetras. lost the silver mollie to we think was swim bladder issue in Feb. got a female dalmation molly (accidently). lost a tetra same month dont know why, but he had pop eye which indicates something was wrong but dont know what. got another tetra. upgraded to a 20 gal in march. added two more female mollies (cremecicle). lost one of them at the end of april for some unknown reason. she looked fine nothing on her body but we are having ammonia issues (stays at .25) also 3 days before she died we lost 3 of her baby fry and lost another two days ago. they were in a different tank. when the 3 died all 6 where in the 1.5 gal. transferred the remaining 3 to the 10 gal and lost one a week later. thats my experience with fish so far. not doing so well. but we do still have one of the fish we first started with alive and well. lol

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok
thats hectic
sorry for the losses
maybe for u its a case of too much too quickly

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi gokaran!!! I am rather new at this hobby as well, but I had some bad experiences that as a commited animal lover, almost detoured me from this hobby!!! I started around the same time you did, and the "casualties" started a month after I purchased my very 1st tank! The death of my fish was the result of not knowing about the nitrogen cycle, having to cycle with fish, and the fact that I had (still have) a small tank (10 gal). I have read that small tanks should be only for experienced fishkeepers, not newbies like myself...so the fact that I finally have an established tank, makes me feel like I have acomplished something. Another thing that used to drive me crazy(still does...but at least now I know a thing or 2) was the contradictory informatiion in regards to the care and maintenance of the tank/fish/ water conditions that one gets from other fishkeepers and/or employees at the LFS!!! I remember the days when I will go several times a week to the LFS with samples of the tank's water and a dead fish in a ziploc bag!!! "Nothing" was wrong with my water but I was losing a fish every 2 weeks or so!!! How frustrating that was...but I am glad I have not given up, although I must say that as much as I want to upgrade to a larger tank, I am scared to death of going thru what I went thru before...and my fish look so happy now!!! On another note...are you going to attend any games of the "soccer Championship" in your country? I am so excited about that!!

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yep i know what u mean about advise with LFS.
I am taking things very slowly. I have a plan that I review every week.
My wife was very despondant this morning after the loss.

YES I got tickets for 2 games
gonna watch Italy vs Slovakia
and Chile vs Spain
Its hard to belive its right here on our doorstep
Are u gonna watch on TV or are u coming over
Maybe i make a Fishlore banner and hold it up(if my wife will let me)

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since we started the tanks up this past January, we lost 1 dalmation molly, and 1 baby fry (probably more got eaten that we weren't aware of).

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We began in March and have lost two adults, around 8 fry and 11 red cherry shrimp. A cherry barb died the night I got it, a black Molly died 13 days after we got it (cutting it really close to the 14-day return period ) and I think she may have died in labor because we have two mystery black Molly fry, the 8 fry got sucked into my new filter and the shrimp were put into a tank that wasn't cycled.

But I think things are stable now, we haven't had any losses in almost a month, we have two out of three tanks fully cycled now and everyone seems to be thriving.

I killed maybe 10 black fish, which may or may not have been mollies, when I was in high school. I knew nothing about cycling and tried to put 5 in a 5g hex. I had kept a large colony of feeder guppies in that same hex tank when I was in middle school and they lived long, reproductive lives despite no water changes--again I knew nothing. My earlier fish keeping was in the days before the Internet was anything more than some hardcore nerds and bulletin boards, so I had limited info to go on.

And of course I lost countless goldfish won as prizes in elementary school carnival games because they went into small fish bowls with no filtration.

-Lisa

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember the days when freshwater aquarium maintance meant taking all the water out and cleaning the tank and decoration outside with a water hose. Now looking back I realised how crazy was that, my tanks were more fish graveyards than enything.

Was that a common practice everywhere during the 80s? Or was it just that me and my pals were badly informed/adviced?

Anyway, the hobby at present time is so technical, sophisticated, and there is so much information that achieving a healthy environment for your fishies is very plausible, which lowers the fish loses. Nonetheless, even with optimal tank conditions there is always a chance to loose some fish specially during the first weeks or so. IME, once the fish survive that critical period of adapting to their new environment if proper care is provided they should live a long happy life

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Back when I first started, I did a lot of things wrong so I would periodicly lose fish in clusters.

Now, I lose one here, one there.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I first started out, I lost all my fish because I didn't know about the nitrogen cycle. Since then, I have only lost one fish because it jumped out of the tank.

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I almost forgot about our very first fish tank. This was over 20 years ago.
I can even imagine the size. we had 8 gold fish that died within a year. Cleaning it meant taking out all the water and washing it down. we did not have a proper biofilter.
I wont call it my tank as it was my sister that did all the work.
I recently found out, my younger brother and his partner in crime, the neighbor used to handle the fish when no one was around, he confessed that he was responsible for most of the deaths.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm in the same tank (boat) as Aquarist48. Way back (in the 60's too)when I started in this hobby, It was not as technically informative. We would start a tank, wait about a week (or as soon as the new water cloudyness went away) and start loading fish. We lost lots of fish.

Today it is a rare event to lose a fish.

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i too have lost fish,my most recent was two albino cory cats,put them in the tank,they looked great,went to work the next day, and it seemed the filter was a bit hungry,they got suck up in it,ive lost an albino rainbow shark the same way,that was a real bummer.

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Often fish die because of old age, illness, and incompatable or poor water conditions. Sometimes they are unkowingly purchased already sick and the fishkeeper thinks it's their fault when it wasn't. It comes with the territory. Everyone in this hobby loses fish eventually. I have had a rough year myself. In the past year I have lost:

1 platy - due to advanced fin rot after treatment started too late because I was moving
1 betta - due to old age (he was nearly 3 years old)
1 juli cory - out of 4 purchased together, it only lasted a week after purchase due to unknown causes
3 Cardinal Tetras - a species known to be sensitive and hard to keep. My pH was all wrong for them
8 panda cories - a species with a dismal survival rate that many have problems keeping alive

I now have a UV sterilizer and plenty of medicines in my arsenal. Between those and now mostly sticking with known hardy species, I don't expect anymore deaths except for old age or if I buy a fish that was already sick. I'm going to try a dwarf gourami, which are known to have dismal survival rates, so we'll see how that goes.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's probably awful of me but I did giggle at the thought of someone's brother "handling" the fish. I lost my first Betta that way. My 2 year old (at the time ) niece decided she wanted to pet him...somehow caught him and everything. She just loved him to death, I suppose..

I would say that w/ Betta's I did great, in 5 years I only lost the one due to Homicide on the part of my niece, the second one I got lived just until this summer when I switched from Bettas to community. That switch didn't go well, since July I have lost 13? ish fish. I just didn't know enough about fish keeping, then once I got things handled in my 3 gal tank, I upgraded to a 10 and started ALL over. So in total I believe 13. UGH. However, things are looking good, and I do have 1 fish left from the original batch, my little Meeko albino catfish who is most definitely blind in one eye, but besides that loving life. Most recently a bout of ich got 2 of my fish...but that's all cleared up and today I added a gorgeous new platy who seems to be loving her new home and new sister fish

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom