1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

How often do you clean your tank?

1. J

Jon Well Known Member Member

How often do you change out water / scrape for algae / vacuum your gravel? I wont attach a poll because it seems that since this is a combo of questions it would be easier just to type a response.

2. E

EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I do water changes twice a week(one of those times being a gravel vac, and havent had any algae to scrape ;) Pleco gets to it before I can lol

3. OP
    OP
    J

i vacuum the gravel and change 15% water subsequently bidaily... i know i should cutback but for some reason i find it very fun.

4. J

Jason Well Known Member Member

I clean mine once a week. Change water 30%, vaccum. algae clean etc.

5. f

fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

10% bidaily

6. n

newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Me too ;D I just don't like hauling heavy buckets from the laundry room...I change the water and siphon the gravel (at the same time) every saturday, 10-25%. I never have to scrape algae, it never grows :)

7. Marc

Marc Well Known Member Member

Typically I do about 10 gallons every other day. 11 gallon buckets are nice :)

8. G

Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I normally change out 50% in each tank every week except my turtle tank. The speedster gets a 100% water change every week. ;)

9. OP
    OP
    J

is there any real danger of cleaning your tank too often with an established tank?

10. E

IN my opinion, you can never do any water changes, but IMO gravel vaccing more than one time a week i s alittle too much.. I try not to mess with any good bacteria _but you have to do it once i week to get rid of any uneaten food, fish poopies, etc. LOL

11. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Jon as long as your fish are happy don't worry about it, I doubt you can do too many water changes ;)
    i do 25 - 50% weekly and vacumm at that time. Plecos do the algae scraping :)
    Carol

12. F

Fish Girl New Member Member

I plan to change the water every week in my tank. The first time I tried one of my fish died but I think I know how to do it now.

13. d

dano569 Valued Member Member

i change 25-30% a week and vaccum half the gravel at the same time. ;D

14. atmmachine816

atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i change about 5-6 gallons once a week thruough a gravel vac and scrape algae everyother month or so

these darn otos dont do the job i need a pleco

15. E

My one pleco keeps my entire tank algae free. :) they are definately good housecleaners

16. d

my mbuna tank has brown algae.i don't have a pleco in that tank.

17. OP
    OP
    J

my tank has brown algae on just the back panel so i scrape it every once in a while... no biggie

18. E

I heard that brown algae is a sign of having nitrites and ammonia present in your tank.

Do you guys think this is true?

19. OP
    OP
    J

my amonia ppm is 0
    my nitrite ppm is 0
    my nitrate ppm is 2...

i doubt it...

20. d

it's just from having excess nutrients in you tank, i think.