How often do you clean your tank?

1. Jon Well Known Member Member

How often do you change out water / scrape for algae / vacuum your gravel? I wont attach a poll because it seems that since this is a combo of questions it would be easier just to type a response.

2. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I do water changes twice a week(one of those times being a gravel vac, and havent had any algae to scrape ;) Pleco gets to it before I can lol

3. Jon Well Known Member Member

i vacuum the gravel and change 15% water subsequently bidaily... i know i should cutback but for some reason i find it very fun.

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

I clean mine once a week. Change water 30%, vaccum. algae clean etc.

5. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

10% bidaily

6. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Me too ;D I just don't like hauling heavy buckets from the laundry room...I change the water and siphon the gravel (at the same time) every saturday, 10-25%. I never have to scrape algae, it never grows :)

7. Marc Well Known Member Member

Typically I do about 10 gallons every other day. 11 gallon buckets are nice :)

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I normally change out 50% in each tank every week except my turtle tank. The speedster gets a 100% water change every week. ;)

9. Jon Well Known Member Member

is there any real danger of cleaning your tank too often with an established tank?

10. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

IN my opinion, you can never do any water changes, but IMO gravel vaccing more than one time a week i s alittle too much.. I try not to mess with any good bacteria _but you have to do it once i week to get rid of any uneaten food, fish poopies, etc. LOL

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Jon as long as your fish are happy don't worry about it, I doubt you can do too many water changes ;)
    i do 25 - 50% weekly and vacumm at that time. Plecos do the algae scraping :)
    Carol

12. Fish Girl Initiate Member

I plan to change the water every week in my tank. The first time I tried one of my fish died but I think I know how to do it now.

13. dano569 Member Member

i change 25-30% a week and vaccum half the gravel at the same time. ;D

14. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i change about 5-6 gallons once a week thruough a gravel vac and scrape algae everyother month or so

these darn otos dont do the job i need a pleco

15. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

My one pleco keeps my entire tank algae free. :) they are definately good housecleaners

16. dano569 Member Member

my mbuna tank has brown algae.i don't have a pleco in that tank.

17. Jon Well Known Member Member

my tank has brown algae on just the back panel so i scrape it every once in a while... no biggie

18. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I heard that brown algae is a sign of having nitrites and ammonia present in your tank.

Do you guys think this is true?

19. Jon Well Known Member Member

20. dano569 Member Member

it's just from having excess nutrients in you tank, i think.