Question How often do you clean your canister filter?

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This is my first experience with canister filters. Just finished fishless cycling my 55 gallon tank and I have a small pre-canister filter and a main canister filter setup on this tank. The tank has been up and running now about six weeks. I have yet to touch the canister filters. Its a planted tank with my own aquasoil capped with sand and pea gravel.

I was wondering if maybe I should take it down and clean out the canisters before adding fish. Should I do this now, or wait? How often do you clean your canister filters?

This picture was taken during a test run in the garage.

Pre-filter cansiter and main cansiter.jpg

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It will vary from tank to tank and canister to canister and some media needs cleaning or replacing more often than others. Take the lid off and check the baskets, if the media looks clogged up with filth give them a rinse out in tank water. I take the lid off my Fluval each week or two because I have fine filter wool in it that needs regular replacement. But the sponges only need rinsing once a month or so. The bio-media only needs an infrequent rinse. I have an Eheim that only needs cleaning every 3 months because I only have coarse pads in it that will soak up alot of muck before the flow is affected. Also it has a pre-filter on the intake. With inspections and cleaning over time you will soon figure out how often it needs to be cleaned.

OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank You for your replies.

I learned about using the smaller pre canister filter off youtube. It should catch any muck, etc before the water enters the main canister filter. So I will check it to see how dirty it is.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I doubt it will be very dirty if you've only just finished fishless cycling.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As mentioned since this is a "New" setup, give it some time. The key is the output flow. I use Eheims on all my tanks, key for me is when I notice a flow reduction of about 50% then it is time. Approx. 3 months give or take on my tanks. And of course using a pre-filter will extend the time, but check it around the 3 month mark. Just remember every tank is as different as a "Fingerprint" based on size, stocking, bio-load, plants and water change amount/frequency.

Hope this Helps.
Good Luck!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom