How often do you clean your canister filter? Question 

How often do you clean your canister filter?

• Once a month

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Every 2-3 months

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Every 6 months

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Once a year

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to a 75 gallon tank from two smaller ones. So far I love all the extra space and depth for my fish!

Anyway, I was wondering how often you clean your canister filters? I'm running an Eheim professional II 2028 on my new tank. I have experience using two eheim classics, which I cleaned every six months. Since this filter is a totally different model I'm wondering if the mileage may vary. I might have to clean it more often, or better yet, less often.

I'm just curious how often you guys maintain your canisters

Jim

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have Eheim Classics: 2213, 2215, and 2217. The 2217 I clean about every 6 to 8 weeks while the 2215 is about 4 to 6 weeks and the 2213 a bit more frequently. I just don't want to take any chances and like to know what is going on in the way of dirt. I also have an Aqueon HOB on each tank with a Purigen 100 cartridge in it in addition to a blue/white bonded piece of filter pad.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, you are a much better fish keeper than I, Jim. Maybe I should go less often between cleanings.

I mean, I never really see a major decrease in flow rate unless I let them go past the 6 month mark.

Vince66

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Everyone around here seems to be using Purigen. I don't currently use any chemical media but am definitely considering the benefits.

baggy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have an fx5 on my 150 gallon and a sun sun on my 55 gallon and only clean them every 6 months or so but my tanks are lightly stocked, as it happens i just did them both this morning and they weren't to bad at all, even found a berried rcs in the sun sun so if that was in there still alive im assuming every 6 months is fine for me

i also have purigen in them

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom