How Often Do You Clean Out Your Canister

1. h

hammerbutt Initiate Member

After years of using hob filters I was recently given an FX6 and am using it on my 100 gallon along with an emperor 400. In the past I only cleaned out the emperors when the flow seemed to slow down and never had any water parameter issues. My hope was to only have to clean it when the purigen expires around the 5-6 month point.

2. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

canisters if not cleaned regularly become nitrate factories.

3. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

On my 330 gallon I ran three canisters and clean one each month so I guess every three months but if I was only running one filter I would clean it each month

4. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

For a while I did it weekly as the 60g would fill back up. Just swished everything around in a bucket of tank water. I've gotten *really* lazy with it and haven't done it for three weeks... oops.
    Edit: filter cleaning not tank cleaning! Oops. Still weekly waterchnages.

5. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Monthly also

6. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I open my fluval 306 on my 55 every 3 months. e59113e8a2712303d1b618011201f470.jpg 1d6d2bc28a49e779ad4a0cbc117bebbd.jpg 895d243f949f904c8e8f204e74072bc5.jpg
    Its a good can, the planted entry sponges take the hit well as you can see the bio media is fresh.

7. 2211Nighthawk

Oh and those sponges would gross me out so bad... I've only left my filter for a month and I'm a little concerned about what it's gonna look like. Those first sponges need it the worse, they get all my goldfish poop in them. :)

8. Littlebudda

Also will depend on what fish, bioload and food you feed if the food sinks straight to the bottom less of that will clog the filter compared to say flake

9. grantm91

That was when i had 2 large parrots in there waiting for my 120, its very moderately stocked now so shouldn't look like that next time, weekly defeats the object of having a canister as they are about low maintenance i think once a month i wouldn't do that either but we are all different.

10. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Probably every 3-4 months, Just whenever I feel like it. I think my FX5 is probably about due now that I think about it.

1d6d2bc28a49e779ad4a0cbc117bebbd-jpg.335395.jpg
    I'd have said that didn't need cleaned. :)

11. grantm91

Good answer. Thats what canisters are about.

12. 2211Nighthawk

Id probably rince those first sponges and that's about it. My canister is fairly easy to get out and the tank takes a while to fill. And yeah I know weekly is excessive... :) otherwise I loose track of the week and then the dumb thing never gets cleaned.

13. Littlebudda

That's the great thing about the fluval design even if you just slide out the sponge cartridge and clean that (2mins work) that would drastically increase the amount of time between a full clean

14. TwoHedWlf

The majority of the time and effort is pulling out the filter, getting it to the sink, cleaning the sponges, reassembling and reattaching it anyway. The 90% of the time cleaning is spent on the sponges anyway, so the media adds nothing to rinse it.

15. grantm91

dfbaa913703d40eb39dd59c75fa5e3ec.jpg tell me about it when said canister is situated behind a full 25g fry set up .

16. TwoHedWlf

And all I need to do is open the stand door and dig it out of the piles of food, nets, empty food containers...:)

17. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

weekly

18. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Trick question lol, not enough ;) Jk. But monthly or so; or when my conscious convinces me that it needs to be cleaned earlier haha.