How Often Do You Change Your Filter Floss?

FISH KEEPE21
How often do you change filter floss and use another one and is there any modes I can make to my bio wheel 100 filiter

TexasDomer
Do you mean modifications?

I don't like the Biowheel filters because the biowheel isn't very efficient.

If the filter floss isn't your main source of biological filtration, you can change it whenever you want. I have ceramic rings in my filters where bacteria grow, so I can change the filter floss whenever it's dirty.

FISH KEEPE21
Ok I was my floss ever day and then put it back in the filiter

75g Discus Tank
Ok I was my floss ever day and then put it back in the filiter
Do you wash in tap water or in tank water?

Also, I would only wash it about 1x a month to not disturb any bacteria.

FISH KEEPE21
Fish tank water

ASHLEY R COOK
Do you mean modifications?

I don't like the Biowheel filters because the biowheel isn't very efficient.

If the filter floss isn't your main source of biological filtration, you can change it whenever you want. I have ceramic rings in my filters where bacteria grow, so I can change the filter floss whenever it's dirty.
This doesn't cause a minI cycle? Sorry I'm new and I thought you had to change a little at a time. I have sponge, then filter floss, then media.

TexasDomer
No, because I change it regularly and I never change the biomedia. By changing the mechanical media regularly, you encourage bacteria to grow on the biological media. No issues with minI cycles.

If you're rinsing in old tank water, you can rinse it whenever you want. I used to rinse my HOBs' medias more than once a month, with no issues with minI cycles (meaning it doesn't significantly disturb the bacteria).

FISH KEEPE21
How do I keep my water clear if I'm over stoked

TexasDomer
How do I keep my water clear if I'm over stoked

Don't overstock - it'll continually cause problems. We can help you stock appropriately, if you're interested.

FISH KEEPE21
I can't buy a new tank my wife won't let me so what do I do

TexasDomer
You can rehome some fish, or return them to the store.

If you'll list your tank size and complete stocking, we can make recommendations.

Michael.j.gomez
Hello, if you can't rehome some of your stock you could get a bigger filter or second one & a couple of waterchanges a wk. Hope this helps!

TexasDomer
Filters and water changes won't help aggression, lack of physical space, and stress.

Swampgorilla
I always throw away filter floss every time I clean the filter. If you have enough biological media in the filter and enough filtration it's not a problem.

As far as overstocking - can't offer any advice since we don't know the size of the tank or what the stock is or wha (if any) other filters you have.

Michael.j.gomez
Hello again, Texas is correct & what I suggested was just a temporary fix for a bad situation! All things considered overstocking will lead to disease & loss of stock. Rehoming or upgrading is only option before things go sideways! Hope this helps.

mitchellh97
1-2 weeks and I’ll put two layers of it in. I throw out the old stuff.

FISH KEEPE21
Is a 20 gallon tank to big for two filters

barandemir09
Is a 20 gallon tank to big for two filters

As long as there isn’t too much flow, all should be good. Having two filters is actually better than one because if one breaks down the other can manage for a couple of days till you buy another

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
e_watson09
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
  • Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic