How often do sparkling gourami spawn?

Rhyu

We recently added a trio of sparkling gourami to a 10g tank, one definate male and female and the smaller third looks to be a female as well (can see ovaries developing, and looks like it might be coloring up into breeding mode).

Its been a bit over a week now that they've been in there, but within 24 hours the pair bred (which are now fry), but the pair has already breed again a couple days ago so now the male has a second egg clutch in addition to the babies. I'm pretty sure the female is looking pretty eggy again as well.

Is it normal for them to bred this frequently? Or are they just kinda having an extreme response after getting out of the store tank that they were in for a least a couple months that had no decor?

The breeding female has had her fins nipped a bit by the dad in her apparent attempts to breed again with him.
Edit: the second set of eggs have now hatched as well.

Attachments

• 16232001138901673422098981010052.jpg
    16232001138901673422098981010052.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1623200200494171125684889634319.jpg
    1623200200494171125684889634319.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 23

Basil

I know this is an older thread but I just saw it. How are the fry doing?
I’ve only seen my sparklers spawning once but no fry. :(
So I have no idea how often they do.

Upvote 0

Rhyu

I know this is an older thread but I just saw it. How are the fry doing?
I’ve only seen my sparklers spawning once but no fry. :(
So I have no idea how often they do.

So far they always seem to disappear at some point but they always hatch and get to kind of free swimming. There are 3 sparklers and 10 chili rasbora in the tank though so I'm sure something is eating them.

Kind of sad but at the same time with the way they're breeding we'd be drowning in fish and my local stores don't take fish...

At this point since we've had them there is always at least one batch of babies being raised by the boy.

The only time he didn't have a batch was when I'd left the floating plants alone for his last batch to not disturb them but some of the plants started getting brown. As soon as I thinned the plants within a few hours there was a new bubble nest and they were busy making eggs to put in it.

I've seen him breeding with both of the females so he's not monogamous either

Upvote 0

Basil

So far they always seem to disappear at some point but they always hatch and get to kind of free swimming. There are 3 sparklers and 10 chili rasbora in the tank though so I'm sure something is eating them.

Kind of sad but at the same time with the way they're breeding we'd be drowning in fish and my local stores don't take fish...

At this point since we've had them there is always at least one batch of babies being raised by the boy.

The only time he didn't have a batch was when I'd left the floating plants alone for his last batch to not disturb them but some of the plants started getting brown. As soon as I thinned the plants within a few hours there was a new bubble nest and they were busy making eggs to put in it.

I've seen him breeding with both of the females so he's not monogamous either
Oh cool! My LFS probably would take some, so I’m hoping at some point to end up with some. Mine are in a sparkler only tank but I’m sure that doesn’t mean the fry won’t get eaten.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Basil
  • Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
awilkinson871