How often do neon tetras lay eggs?

airdog44

I have a neon tetra who just laid some eggs. The problem is, I don't want baby neons. I'm not worried about them surviving, it's in a community tank, but I am worried that it will keep happening. I don't constantly want the little white balls in my aquascape. So can someone answer the question for me? How often will they lay eggs? Like once a month? Is there a way to prevent them from doing so?

Demeter

Can you post some photos of the eggs? Normally with egg scattering schooling species like tetras and barbs you will not see the eggs unless you are lookin for them. They are tiny, clear and usually fall into the substrate or plants were they remain unseen until they hatch a few days later (or get eaten). I somewhat doubt the balls you are finding are tetra eggs. When someone finds a bunch of white eggs in their tank the next question is if they have cory cats, if the answer is yes then it's likely just a bunch of corydora eggs.

As for how often they spawn, they will probably do it all the time much like danios and barbs tend to do. If you have a large school there will almost always be gravid females ready to spawn and if the conditions are right then it will happen whether you like it or not.

Upvote 0

airdog44

Ok thanks for the reply, I guess it will just have to do. I only have neons and a single male honey gourami so it's definitely the neons eggs, I exaggerated a big I guess haha. They are super tiny so I guess it's fine. Also, because we are still talking about neons , they keep attacking each other, even though I have 6. It is a 10 gallon so I don't think it is a space problem. Is it because the female is bearing eggs?

Upvote 0

timfulmer

Ok thanks for the reply, I guess it will just have to do. I only have neons and a single male honey gourami so it's definitely the neons eggs, I exaggerated a big I guess haha. They are super tiny so I guess it's fine. Also, because we are still talking about neons , they keep attacking each other, even though I have 6. It is a 10 gallon so I don't think it is a space problem. Is it because the female is bearing eggs?

Sounds like you have fresh food for the gourami!

It might be normal for schooling fish to chase each other around a bit. Problem is when one gets bullied to the point of not being able to eat, it’ll start looking poorly. It is said on the internet this is due to an over aggressive male fish and not enough “subdominant males” to spread the aggression over.

The other bad sign can be fin nipping, I believe you would see ragged fin edges if this were happening. As long as you don’t see one loosing health, or ragged fins, it is probably just your neons being “social”.

Upvote 0

airdog44

Ok, again thank you for the help, I am still a newbie :)

Upvote 0

Latest threads

Top Bottom