75 Gallon Tank How often do I need to change the water?

Gameynerd23

Hello, I'm curious how often I need to do water changes in my 75 gallon. It's stocked with 35-40 ish Danios and 5 Dojo Loaches ranging from 3-5 inches. Right now I'm doing weekly changes of a little less than 25%, It's kind of hard to estimate, but I probably drain the water about 3-4 inches. I'm wondering if I can go to bi-weekly water changes or if I need to keep doing it weekly.

Thank you for the help!

Passionfish

Gameynerd23 said:
Hello, I'm curious how often I need to do water changes in my 75 gallon. It's stocked with 35-40 ish Danios and 5 Dojo Loaches ranging from 3-5 inches. Right now I'm doing weekly changes of a little less than 25%, It's kind of hard to estimate, but I probably drain the water about 3-4 inches. I'm wondering if I can go to bi-weekly water changes or if I need to keep doing it weekly.

Thank you for the help!
Keep doing it weekly. You could get away with bi-weekly, but that would mean less happy fish for a little less maintenance work. It could also lead to less healthy fish. I find that when I have to change the water in my 75 gallon, I feel very lazy about it and I don't want to do it because I know it will take a long time, but I want my fish to live so that is my motivation, LOL.

jmaldo

Depends on your filtration and bio-load, I chose to do minimum 50% water changes on all my tanks (10-55g). On my grow-out tanks of EBA, minimum 2x per week 50%.
Beneficial for my "Wet Pets"

Good Luck!

Gameynerd23

Passionfish said:
Keep doing it weekly. You could get away with bi-weekly, but that would mean less happy fish for a little less maintenance work. It could also lead to less healthy fish. I find that when I have to change the water in my 75 gallon, I feel very lazy about it and I don't want to do it because I know it will take a long time, but I want my fish to live so that is my motivation, LOL.
Cool, that's kind of what I was thinking. It is kind of boring waiting for the water to drain, but having the siphon that hooks up to a faucet is a big help so I'm not lugging five gallon buckets around, lol.
jmaldo said:
Depends on your filtration and bio-load, I chose to do minimum 50% water changes on all my tanks (10-55g). On my grow-out tanks of EBA, minimum 2x per week 50%.
Beneficial for my "Wet Pets"

Good Luck!
Oh, I did forget to mention my filters, lol. I have a Marineland Penguin 375 (biowheel) and a Penn Plax Cascade 1500 (canister).

Passionfish

Gameynerd23 said:
Cool, that's kind of what I was thinking. It is kind of boring waiting for the water to drain, but having the siphon that hooks up to a faucet is a big help so I'm not lugging five gallon buckets around, lol.
Lucky! My 75 gallon is in the basement, so I have to carry a 2.5 gallon bucket up the stairs back and forth SO MANY TIMES. But it's my fault because I don't actually buy a bigger bucket lol.

Gameynerd23

Passionfish said:
Lucky! My 75 gallon is in the basement, so I have to carry a 2.5 gallon bucket up the stairs back and forth SO MANY TIMES. But it's my fault because I don't actually buy a bigger bucket lol.
Haha, I'm hoping to get a 55 gallon for my ground floor and the closest faucet is in the kitchen, so I'd need like a 50 foot long tube to even reach it.

StarGirl

I do 1/2 in my 55g weekly. I wouldn't go any longer than you are. You will just be asking for trouble!

Gameynerd23

StarGirl said:
I do 1/2 in my 55g weekly. I wouldn't go any longer than you are. You will just be asking for trouble!
Cool, I may up the water change a bit more. I gage the water change by my thermometer. Right now I only go to the red area about 3/4ths of the way down on it, but now I'll go all the way to the bottom of it.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom