How Often Do I Deep Clean

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Iggybaziggy, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Iggybaziggy

IggybaziggyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    How often should I take everything out and deep clean the tank and completely change the water? I’ve had an problem with the ammonia being a little high, today it was .25. I did another 30% water change. But I had an incident with frozen mysis shrimp for the first and only time getting stuck in the filter and it shot back out and it I think it’s contributing to my ammonia spike because I am seeing little teeny tiny pieces of things floating around his 3 gallon betta tank. His high ph is at 7.8, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. I have 2 moss balls and catappa leaves and drift wood in there as well along with his gravel and silicon anenome, hiding log, 2 thermometers, filter, heater. I’ve done 25-40% water changes for 4 days and ammonia has been fluctuating between .25-.50. I am concerned about the things floating in the water..... is it time for a water change and to start over? Thank you!

2. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi, welcome to fishlore :)

How long has the tank been set up? Im guessing it's pretty new because you have an ammonia reading but no nitrates or nitrites.

When you do the water changes are you using a gravel vac? What water conditioner are you using? Seachem prime is recommended a lot around here. It will detox ammonoa for up to 48 hours. You will still get a reading, but the ammonia has changed to a non toxic form. And what kind of filter do you have?

Also, check your tap water for ammonia. Depending on the treatement the nontoxic form will show up in your water.

I dont think you should start over. Your tank is probabally starting to cycle (if it's new) on its own. You will eventually see the ammonia drop and nitrites start to rise. These are quite harmful so do water changes every day. Aquarium salt added can help with the effects of nitrite poisoning as well. Eventually the nitrites will drop and nitrates will come, those are safe in small numbers. Around up to 40ppm.

3. OP
    OP
    Iggybaziggy

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    I’ve had it about 6 months now. I’ve used the prime for the past 4 days and I use Aqueon water condition. And I have api stress coat if I should use that too? I don’t know. I figured it’d kinda the same. I had ammonia, nitrite, nitrate all at 0 there for a very long time till the mysis shrimp incident. I think it may be decaying in the water causing the ammonia to spike, and I don’t know how to get it out because it’s almost microscopic. Yes I’m using a gravel vacuum to get the water out. It’s just a small filter that says it has a flow rate of 25 gallons per hour that uses tetra whisper xs filter cartridges

I bought the tank on amazon that came with the filter, I bought the heater separately.

And thanks for the warm welcome!! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
  4. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Never. Ive had tanks set up for 20 years and never "deep cleaned" anything. Just do your weekly-ish water changes, rinse out your filter media every so often and thats really it. It will depend on the fish your keeping, the tank size, filter, etc., but weekly water changes are normal for most. Rinsing out your filter media every month to 6 months is probably normal for most.

Dont overfeed and you wont have issues like that. A betta will only need to eat a couple brine shrimp to be full. You dont need to put a ton in there. If youve got extra floating around, net it out.

Your tank isnt cycled so youre seeing ammonia. Continue doing water changes as necessary to keep ammonia under .25.

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,897
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Greetings and welcome to Fishlore :)

There are several variables to the answer of your question.

Filtration. How much and it’s maintenance.

The water. Is it RO/DI or city, well? If it is city or well you will have to do water chances often to keep from a build up of unwanted chemicals and heavy metals.

Is there an algae issue?

Are there live plants in the aquarium?

Is a gravel vac being done after feeding if there is leftover food?

Is the substrate sand or gravel? If it is gravel is it large enough that food and waste can get in deep enough to be beyond the reach of a gravel vac?

I and others here have kept aquariums for many years without a teardown. I teardown only if I take an aquarium out of service or I need to move it... Or if it leaks...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    Iggybaziggy

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    I didn’t feed him brine shrimp, it was mysis shrimp and it was floating food meant for larger fish that I was told I could cut in quarter to try to give him every once in a while as something new. Once it hit it water it started to obviously melt and float toward the filter and before I could get to it sucked up immediately into it. I haven’t used it since. I know they only need a few brine shrimp and I know bettas are prone to over eating, We have learned the hard way. We stick to 2mm pellets now 2x a day that is what works for us. I use city water and the ph is naturally high which is why I have the catappa leaves and drift wood. since the tank it 3 gallons I have been doing 20% water change a week, there isn’t really any left over food when he eats. I watch him eat every time and count the pellets when I feed him. The only other living organism besides him are the moss balls, which aren’t dying and I rotate and clean regularly and give “spa days”. I have gravel that is on average about quarter to half inch in length by eighth inch wide.
    When I use the gravel vacuum he is really interested in it and has NO FEAR and I am so scared I’ll suck him up so I usually stay in a general area..... am I suppose to move it around the bottom? That probably is a silly question
    :( He doesn’t flare at it or anything he just nosey and curious.
    I’ve never had any algae yet

I’m really sorry I sent this as a large reply you guys. I’ve never been on a forum before! So I’m still learning

7. ETNsilverstar

ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +801
    Experience:
    Just started
    Did you recently replace your filter cartridge?

8. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Its fine! We get a notification weather you reply to a specific person, or just in the thread. For the gravel vac, yes, put it down in the gravel to really suck up the food/gunk that falls down in there. On my smaller tanks the water drains faster than i can do the gravel, so i just do a different side each time.

9. OP
    OP
    Iggybaziggy

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    Okay! Thanks!

I think it was maybe 2 or 2 1/2 3 weeks ago I changed it?

10. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Don't change the cartridge, it will kill your cycle. It's where most of your beneficial bacteria live. You can take it apart and fill it with new carbon, or your own media. Just cut a slit and remove the insides and put your own in. You can use it till the outside wears out, which takes forever. It's cheaper as well.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle, and different filter medias/replacements/diy's

11. OP
    OP
    Iggybaziggy

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh no!!!!!!!! I didn’t know that!!!!!!!! Okay thank you! I’ll do some more reading on that. Thanks again

Thanks everyone

12. DuaneV

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    In a 3 gallon you dont need to use a huge gravel vac. Just use a piece of air line tubing.

13. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Does that work well to clean the gravel? Not disagreeing with you, but I've never thought/heard to do it this way. Now im curious. Really good idea!

14. DuaneV

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Works great. Takes a couple minutes longer but WAY easier than using a full sized vacuum.