How often do crawfish molt?

Buzz

Reaction score
Right now though, I am a bit concerned about our crayfish. He has not molted for quite some time now and I was wondering if there was a fixed cycle or something.

There were many crawfish (all the same size) in the tank at the pet store where we purchased him (Captain Kirk, the explorer ), but I've been told that there is still a crawfish there from his bunch and it is humongous - like 5 times the size of our crayfish. Can this be true? If so, does it have to do with diet or the size of his tank???

Buzz

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I think it depends on the age of your crawfish, and how quickly it's growing:

OP
Buzz

Buzz

Reaction score
Thanks for the link... . Last night I noticed that our craw did not eat at all and low & behold , this morning we found him already molted!

The site you suggested recommends that you leave the old shell in the tank for the Craw to eat, which is interesting, because I used to think that it needed to come out of the tank right away. I remember the first time it molted (I never realised that they did that) – I thought that the shell was the crawfish and that it had somehow died. I was relieved to find him alive and well, hiding in the tank some hours later.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope you do not mind me getting off the subject too much but I had to tell you what a beautiful Betta you have and such a fine name. Anyone around here can tell you that I am an absolute nut when it comes to Bettas and Professor Pinky is a beautiful Betta indeed!!

Sorry to hijack the topic for a moment. :-[

Rose

OP
Buzz

Buzz

Reaction score
Thank you very much...Although I must admit that I must have taken at least 20 pictures just to get that perfect one ;D

Cheers,
Buzz

btate617

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they get back a lot of the nutrients they need from eating their shell once they molt.
Brian

New Threads