How often clean up after bristlenose pleco? Question

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by JoannaB, Apr 19, 2012.

1. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

So today there is quite a lot of new bn pleco's poop on the sand. How often does one clean it up with gravel vacuum? Should I clean up some tomorrow morning? I am used to doing weekly water changes, but if she poops that much in one day does one need to clean up more often than once a week? I had read that plecos produce lots of poop, but I still was not expecting that much in so short a time.

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

I'm assuming this is in your 30g? I usually do a gravel vac twice a week with my waterchanges. It is really up to you. With my Commons in the barebottom tank I used to pick up the feces every day because I didn't like how it looked. You could do the same if you wanted. Or you could get a PowerFilter which will probably solve the problem of 'seeing' the feces.

3. OP
    OP
    J

I am wondering whether it would make sense to invest in the Eheim Sludge Remover. Would it be powerful enough to pick up pleco feces off the sand without picking up sand if I hold it over the sand like a gravel vacuum? I would of course not use it instead of the weekly water change, but rather in addition as a way to clean up poop without needing to increase frequency of water changes. Any experience with it? (I was not sure whether to post this as a comment here, or as a separate thread in the equipment section.) Thanks!

4. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

i bought a very small gravel vac and just go around sucking up his poo every night

5. OP
    OP
    J

Other related questions: what if we went on vacation and the fish were fed but the poop was not cleaned for a week or two, would this be a health concern for the fish? Also we are planning to get Cory catfish and red cherry shrimp, will they mind bn pleco poop, or is the frequency of poop cleanup mostly for our human aesthetic reasons, but if we did not clean for a week until water change the fish would not mind? I am still intending to do more frequent cleanup for aesthetic reasons, but want to figure out whether this is also necessary for fishes' sanitary reasons or not. thanks!

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would not waste money of the sludge thing. The eclipse filters are garbage, to such a degree that the bluntness is warranted. I really suggest getting a new filter system - the poops are only going to get bigger. A good powerfilter, or better yet a small canister, would keep your tank much cleaner. Add a circulation pump on the far side of the tank from the filter and you'll be set.

In my 90 I have 2 goldfish, 2 plecos and a LOT of other fish, and it's rare that I ever see waste in that or any other tank. I never vacuum the sand. My filtration systems are massive and are designed to collect the waste - it's truly beautiful, how well it works. But yeah, improving the filtration and circulation is the answer.

7. OP
    OP
    J

As a temporary measure I have reduced the amount of water in our aquarium, so that now the water falls from the top a greater distance causing a greater sploosh, and thus adding to water circulation. I think this has actually taken care of the visible poop problem for now - I have not observed any poop on sand since then. I still expect that I will need to get a canister filter ultimately, but I can delay the purchase a bit longer. Btw, for anyone else who tries to do this: at least with the Marineland Eclipse filter, there is a minimum water level to which the aquarium needs to be filled in order for the filter to be more likely to keep working (I once called customer service when my filter got stalled, and they said to add more water so that the base of the filter upper part what ever it is called is covered), but as long as one fills up to that minimum water level, one can keep the water level lower to increase the amount of disturbance that the water coming out of the filter causes in the tank. Ultimately my plan shall be to buy a canister filter, and to hook it up in such a way that the water coming out of the canister filter will go onto the filter cartridge from the Eclipse so this way I will combine the two filters + still keep my separate sponge filter as well. However, for now I can still delay this plan a bit longer.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would not combine the filters. Once you get a canister you will understand how unnecessary the eclipse is. I would be worried that the water flow would be restricted and not all make it back in the tank.... and, the media in the eclipse is but a tiny fraction of the media the canister can hold - totally negating the need for it.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks Jaysee, will do that then, once I get the canister. However, for now I will stick to the eclipse for a while longer to spread out the aquarium related expenses a bit more, and since I have found this temporary solution - though I realize that it is just temporary, since the bn pleco will grow bigger and I am planning to still get Cory catfish and red cherry shrimp, and thus I realize that there shall come a time when I will want to upgrade the filter, but for now it is still ok.

10. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I used to have a BN, lord was i in for a surprise when it started pooping -_-. To this day i will never get the gravel clean TT_TT. However, i find that clowns dont poo as much :shrug:
    Good luck with the poo!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice