How offten? Ready to give up

1. f

frogfan Valued Member Member

So how offten do you look at your tank, have something go wrong , or just not feel like doing a wc and say to your self im done im over it and im not keeping fish any more. This is basicly a daily thing for me its a depression thing mostly I dive head first into something roll around get covered in it then get bored or frustrated and then im over it. Every issue I have and with 4 tanks to take care of 2 at my parents and 2 at home there is always an issue to deal with I get more and more frustrated and more bored. I dread water changes now its not the time it take but the liklyhood ill mess up , kill something, get distracted , or forget to add something that gets me . I rarely mess up but like i 2 days ago i killed a fish in quarenteen because i put a jar to close to the side of the tank and a guppy who shouldnt have even been at the bottom of the tank got traped. There was also the 4 day before I added the jar that my sponge filter wasnt working because my air pump was to weak but I didnt check it . Then there is the multipul fish illnesses and deaths from buying bad poorly bred stock because I was simply uninformed. So im frustrated fish are exhosting and im bored and i keep going not because the good out weighs the bad but because i simply dont have the heart to give up becuse the majority of the fish belong to my 3 yo neice and because i cant break her heart by saying this takes to long and cost to much we are getting rid of them, Because so does her guinea pig, her sister and herself and if i so easily give up on these fish because they are small and cheep (relativly speaking) I might give up on her or at least in her 3 yo mind thats how she would feel. So i keep on pushing foward I keep cleaning the tanks and buying new fish because 3 small fish in a 29g tank just wont do and because its what my sweet little 3yo animal loveing clone wants . Ok thats the end of my 1 am ramble I think ill go do a wc on the frog tank

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. TJBender

TJBender Well Known Member Member

I just euthanized an entire tank due to TB. poeticinjustices and endlercollector restored my sanity, and that tank is now full of water and settling play sand, getting ready for an inhabitant this weekend if the sand settles in time. Fishkeeping is a hobby wrought with challenges and setbacks, moreso than most because we're dealing with lives. Things going awry is par for the course. Keep your head up and hang in there. Fishkeeping, at least fishkeeping done right, is not an activity for the faint of heart.

3. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

As with all aspects of life, there are good days and bad days. Fish keepers keep fish as long as they can get away with it Fish are very demanding pets, and it may turn out that sometimes we have to change our priorities. But it's tough when you are trapped in the drudgery of caring for fish because you're afraid of letting a child down. Then you realize that it's only about fear and no longer about enjoying the fish. I hope you get to find some time to just relax and watch the fish without having to worry too much.

4. OP
    OP
    f

I like my adf they are hardy and low key i have heard people say they are natorius for being weak and poorly bred but these 2 have been threw alot not the least of which was my own inexprence and their 1/2 g unfiltered uncycled first tank. Im planing to get a betta to put in the 10 i keep at my house on my desk. Im most frustrated about my nieces tank i have been trying to stock this tank for 2 months now and i have returned all but 4 of the 20 or so i have bought in that time. Im just haveing a hard time finding healthy fish that make it threw quarenteen

5. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

If water changes and tank maintenance are not your thing you might want to check out a walstad tank. they are a little bit harder to setup but require less maintenance once its started.

6. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I can't even get my community tank set up. I'm having a lot of medical problems and had a procedure done on my wrist Monday. Husband won't help at all. The dang thing is sitting my dining room floor and I just want to cry everytime I see it. The kicker is that Tuesday I'll find out if I need more procedures or even surgeries. I'll never get to that tank.

And my betta tank is doing off things. Carbon filter started leaking out tiny bits of carbon. Which then set off some kind of film on the top of the water. The carbon filter was running fine for over a week before all this started suddenly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

There's no shame in walking away from the hobby if you feel that you have to. And really, the time to do so is when you've lost the heart or motivation to do things like water changes. Just be sure before you make a decision one way or another.

8. lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

ya i was feeling down a few weeks ago ready to give up. than i realized i was completely over stressing my self. i drastically cut down my number of tanks from 8 to 4 large tanks and from 4 to 2 small tanks and it eased my stress alot. maybe you should cut down on tanks or find someone around your area to help you. i know Adam55 helped me realize this and comforted me. and i thanked him for not letting me give up. so you shouldnt just give up either there is always something you can do maybe it requires compromise with one or 2 tanks but you could always explain that one nice tank is worth 2 ok tanks right?

9. OP
    OP
    f

I can get rod of 1 tank if i give up on gettin a betta but thats about it i need a qt im still stocking the 29 g

10. lollipopkiller

why dont you get a female betta instead? they do ok in communitys ive even had 2 males do well in communitys. it depends on the fish mostly if you go pick one up from the pet store look for a active betta that isnt really flareing at others as much as the rest. they should have better odds in a community tank.

11. OP
    OP
    f

i had planed to put the betta in the 10 the 29 will already be well stocked with a school of guppies and peppered cories and some mid swimmer was going to do danios but now am being told thats a bad idea

12. lollipopkiller

oh ok than

13. OP
    OP
    f

Ill figure it all out the 29 is the least of my issues really its the easyest to take care off but stocking it has been so hard the cory i planed on adding to the 29 tomorrow has developed a lump on its side so it cant go in the main tank and the guppie's tail needs to heal so cant move them over yet i may set the 10 up next to the 7.5 and run both as QT till those 2 fish are sorted out
    I guess i should just euthinize the 3 juvi guppies and 2 fry in the 10 i dont think they will live and 1 of the juvi females spine has an odd curve to it showed up about 2 days ago its bent slightly right between her belly and tail so it could be TB or could be what ever killed the other 17

Update : I ended up euthinizing the sick guppies in the 10 going to get a betta I think. The catfish still has a lump on its side doing a corse of melafix? On day 3 no change to the lump so far its not bigger , smaller , opened nothing.