so wat do u think Gunnie ?

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
????? ???? ????? ???? what do u think

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It may have been the gravel vac if the vac was more than usual or if it was the first time you vacuumed under ornaments since the tank was set up. Even if this isn't the case, the bad bacteria can form pockets that all of a sudden leak to the surface and contaminate the tank. My tank was established for over a year, and I came home early from work 1 day and the tank looked fine. I went and took a nap, and when I got up, it looked like someone had poured a little milk in the tank, and most of my fish were dead. Now I try and clean under rocks and decorations at least once a month to keep this from happening again. I also have live plants in the tank, and their root systems are supposed to help keep that from happening as the roots grow into the gravel or sand.

I'm just not sure on this one. It's best to go back to basics and watch your tank like you did when it was first set up. Test often, and if you see any weird fish behavior, an immediate water change would probably be a good idea. Your test results may not indicate something in the water that is making the fish sick, so don't rely completely on your water parameters. Watch your fish closely.

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I lost my last cory this mornin! the depression continues how often should I do a gravel vac? every 3 months? :'(

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Try gravel vacuuming every time you do a water change. Most folks can't get all the grave done before too much water is gone, so do a half or even a fourth of the tank each time and rotate where you vacuum. Vacuuming a section includes under the decorations in that section. I am so sorry this is happening to you. Losing a fish just sucks. Hang in there!

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I found 1 of my problems puttin my hand in2 the water when puttin my net in !!!!! I'm hanging on a string at the minute 2 b honest it really sucks! I will start again when I think my tank is ready :'(

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there anyway anything else could be getting into your tank? Sometimes we forget to rinse our hands before putting them into the tanks. I learned this the hard way. Hand lotion, soap, anything can get our hands and us not realize it but those two particularly. If not you, does anyone else have access to your tank? Sorry for your losses Craig. :'(
Carol

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
nope no1 else gets in2 my tank but me and does everythin but me every1 just watch the fish I cover my tank at night when I turn the light off so the fish aren't affected from me comin in and out of my room turnin the lights on and off it also keeps the temperature the same on cold nights durin the day I cover the top of it cause there's we slits at the bak where the filter and heater wires run out off I found thatwas lettin dust in so I cover it with a tea towel (then set my dancin hamster on top of it 2 stop it fallin off) lol hes the guarder of the tank as I call him, but there's no other reasons

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
the tank is on the up its lookin much better ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How so? Tell us about the better part
Carol

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
the cloudy top of it has disappeared and the fish look much happier

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good!!! Have you done anymore tests just to see if there's a difference? Glad your fishies are happier
Carol

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
0ppm all round lol my water is great but it was throughout the depression it was a weird spell of deaths maybe the fish were just rubbish that I got

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's completely possible! My hubby loves guppys and we don't have any luck with them at all and they should be the easiest of all. The guppy stock we find in general seem to be very poor quality.
I would give the tank about a week at least to settle down before adding anymore fish. just my 2 cents worth.
Carol

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah that's what I'll do but I'm not gettin any more guppies or cory cats

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads