How much work involved in a bigger tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 11, 2015.

1. K

Kimberly4403 Well Known Member Member

Is it true larger tanks are easier to maintain? For those who have big tanks 350L plus how long does it take for ur weekly water change

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes bigger tanks are easier to maintain because takes longer for water conditions to go bad. 25% weekly water change takes me about 10-15 minutes. I hook a water changer pipe directly to my garden faucet.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah they are easier, easier than smaller tanks. My water changes don't take that long. Probably 30 minutes or so.

4. OP
    OP
    K

How do u simplify a water change.. With my 150L i use 6 buckets

5. OP
    OP
    K

What is a water changer pipe?
    I just use gravel syphone and buckets takes a while..
    How do you make up ur water to go back into tank?

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

350L is 93 gallons? If that's correct, about a half hour to change half the water. Give or take 10 minutes.
    On my big tanks I have a drip system. Water contentiously drips into the tank, and out through a drain, They drip at different rates for different size tanks. I believe they change around 25% of the tanks volume daily.

My smaller tanks without drip systems I have a python that I hook up to a water transfer pump. Gravity works, but this speeds things up. I have yet to figure out a really fast way of filling them.

For the tank sizes you have, I would get a python. Nothing else should be needed. I would guess you can get the water in the 2 tanks you've mentioned done in around 45 minutes a week.

7. Thomas Lin

Thomas Lin Valued Member Member

I use a smaller container to scoop water into the tank until it's not so heavy. Then I just pick up the bucket and pour the water in at a controlled speed so I don't blast away all my plants and substrate.

8. Dom90

9. OP
    OP
    K

No im upgrading to the bigger tank only want 1 tank

10. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Got it. Get a python, or an Aqueon water changer like Dom90 linked, and you should have your water changes done in a half hour or so.

11. Dom90

The water changer I have has valves that control the direction of water flow. You can use it like a gravel vacuum, drain water into your faucet/yard and then use it to fill up the tank.

BDpups, make that "or less", usually takes 15-20 mins if I vacuum, less if I dont

12. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

IMO, the biggest plus of having a larger tank is allowing me to create a community of fish vs. just a species or two in a small aquarium. Yes it does take a few extra minutes for a 25% weekly water change on my 75 gal (15 gal usually 20%) vs 1 gal for a 5 gallon tank.

That said, currently have my tank set up as a guppy breeding tank. Will be adding some fry friendly tank mates in the future. Big tanks allow flexibility to do whatever you want. If you are like me that will change periodically and that flexibility will come in handy. Recommend getting a tank as large as you feel comfortable maintaining....and enjoying.

13. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

For my 265g aquarium, I can do a complete gravel vacuum and water change in about 2 hours or less. I do water changes weekly and vacuum the entire tank once a month.

Included in my water changes are filter pad changes, rinsing sponges, cleaning the front inside glass panel. I have 2 hang on back (hob) refugiums so plant care is also part of my water change routine.

All of my water for water changes is prefiltered using a 55g drum for 7 days. I use a mag drive pump to pump the water out (and into a drum that lives outside) of the tank and from the drum (inside) back into the tank.

An older set up below. Now I only use the 55g drums and not the 29g aquarium and too, I no longer have the 33g set up as it is in storage:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/water-changes/74204-prefiltering-water-water-changes.html

Link of interest:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...p-up-water-changes-your-fish.html#post1290981

Ken

14. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

I'm never sure how people fill the tanks with the hoses that attach to the sink unless they have RO water. My tap water is terrible and I wouldn't put even a drop of untreated water in the tank. Love those hoses for siphoning though, can't beat the speed.
    I work at a pet store and we use them to do water changes and to fill. We do fill directly from an RO supply and add minerals and salt and such later. For the saltwater tanks (we only have a few) we premix the saltwater in a 40 gallon trashcan that sits on a wheeled dolly.
    For my home tank I have a 32 gallon trashcan that I fill and that has a cheap powerhead/water pump and a heater inside that are always running. Water sits in here for a minimum of 24 hours before I do a water change, though usually more. I still empty into buckets but eventually I'll probably just get another trashcan on wheels, because I hate lugging buckets Dechlorinate the new water the morning of the water change and then I have attached flexible tubing to the powerhead and just pop that in the tank to refill at a controlled speed that doesn't make a mess of spilled water and disturbed plants.
    If you had a 100 gallon tank you could certainly have multiple trashcans for clean and same with empty ones for dirty water.

15. V

Vince66 Valued Member Member

I have a 72 gallon bow front tank. With HOB filters. I find it fairly easy to maintain

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

When I use my Python, I treat the tank with Prime for the amount of tap water I'm about to add before I start filling. I don't know of any better way to do it.

Downside to my Python is that the sink end always pops out, so I need to have a friend around to hold it in place when I use it. For weekly 25% water changes, I just use a 1G pitcher (I only have a 20G, so it's not too arduous). For monthly gravel cleanings, I have to ask a friend to come over to hold the Python for me :p

17. Dom90

I have the same problem on my Aqueon water changer. I learned not to turn the water on all the way, the pressure is more than the tube can handle. Turn it up halfway and you won't have this problem. It takes longer to fill the water but you can do it yourself.

18. sawchynegger

sawchynegger Valued Member Member

I use an Aqueon water changer on my 180 gallon. At first I was hesitant to refill the tank with tap water but my technique seems to work ok and all my fish are healthy. I'm running 2 fluval 110 HOB's and a fluval 406 canister. The intake tubes of the HOB's stays below the water all the time. I do a 40 to 50 gallon water change per week. After vacuuming the gravel, cleaning filters etc, I fire the HOB's back up so they begin circulating the water. This is when I start refilling. I add water conditioners as the tank refills and circulates. I do the same thing on my 55 and have had no problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

I use an inline filter on my tap in the basement washroom. The tap downspout has a removable mesh screened cap. The thread of this is a standard thread where you can get an adapter such as a quicksnap (no cosmetic appeal) which I use to snap in a hose adapter. This is then connected to another water treatment filter, a 50 foot hose with a adjustable valve so I can control the flow of water needed. I have a 500g holding pond, 2 55's and a 20. When I need it, snap it in and done. The pond also has a 1/4 in hose to a water leveler that always keeps the pond level topped off.

20. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

If you have a small tank it is much harder to keep a steady temperature and keep the water clean. For example, if you keep one guppy in a glass of water and feed it, the water will very quickly become dirty. If you keep one guppy in a 100 gallon tank, it will take much longer for the water to become so dirty that you have to do a partial water change. With that being said, if you max out your tank to the point that you can't add anymore fish, a weekly 10% water change in a 10 gallon tank if far less water than a 10% weekly water change in a 100 gallon tank. And a larger tank requires more decorations and has more glass surface area, so it requires more cleaning. Tthe big question is, "how much do you want to run up your monthly water bill?"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice