How much water - how far from top rim and filter output?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by JoannaB, May 29, 2012.

1. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

I was wondering how high in the tank the water ought to be? How much space should one leave between top rim/hood and water surface? How much higher should my cannister filter output be above the water surface? I feel like i ought to know the answer to this question already, but alas I do not. Thanks!

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Ok, water level in the aquarium. It depends on the setup, I run mine about 0.5" below the rim, to leave space between surface and glass cover for gas exchange.

The canister output - My spray sits about 1.5-2" below the water surface (fully submersed), and is pointed to the surface for surface agitation.

3. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning JoannaB,

I have the water level to the bottom of the rim. I do not like to see a water line in my tanks.

Your out flow doesn't have to be above the water line. You can have it under the water and direct the flow toward the top. This will give you good surface water movement.

Ken

4. saqib

saqibWell Known MemberMember

Two things to think about when leveling water in a tank,
    1. Like ken said he doesn't like water line to be visible, it depends on a more personal liking. Its almost a must for me, i have hard water so the water line constantly creates stains which are not easy to remove. Highest possible.
    2. Fast moving or bigger fish make a lot of splashes, if your water level is fairly high that means you'll get water spills from time to time. My silver dollars ensure that my floor has a pool of water whenever its feeding time :)

5. OP
    OP
    J

JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Oh, great, thanks! I had this misconception that cannister filter output needed to be above the water because my previous filter was built into the hood and thus could only output water from above. I also thought that larger distance between output and surface was better to increase surface agitation, so as a result my water level has been lower than it should be, I now realize - thanks so much for correcting me, and I will make sure to fix this soon. I wonder whether this will also help resolve my reoccurring air bubbles in cannister filter issue, since fewer parts of the intake will be above the water line and perhaps the part where the air is getting in will be below water hopefully.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice