• Total voters

Gatesy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi everyone
A question out of curiousity
How much and how often do you all change your tanks water?

I currently change 40-50% twice a week on 2 of my tanks
75% of water for my betta tank twice a week and 40-60% (dependant on testing) of water every 10 days for my last tank

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A lot depends on the tank. Size, inhabitants etc matter greatly.

A fry growout getting heavy feeding can get 50% twice a week.
An ordinary non breeding tank with reasonable stocking gets 30% every week to ten days.
My killie tanks get 30% every two weeks, as they don't like water changes (but need them).

Tank size, stocking, the natural history of the fish you keep, the ages of fish - all come in to play. What matters is the changes have to be regular, and tailored to the tanks based on research.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For me "little and often" is best as far as water changes go as my parameters cannot then change as much.

If more water needs changing in a week then I increase the frequency of water changes not the percentage of individual changes.

Consistency is the key. This is how I have got my Clown Loaches to 24 years of age.

If my schedule allowed me to change 10% per day I would. Even better would be a drip feed and overflow.

River fish like Clown Loaches get fresh water constantly in their natural environments unless humans have polluted the waterways.

Gatesy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NavigatorBlack said:
A lot depends on the tank. Size, inhabitants etc matter greatly.

A fry growout getting heavy feeding can get 50% twice a week.
An ordinary non breeding tank with reasonable stocking gets 30% every week to ten days.
My killie tanks get 30% every two weeks, as they don't like water changes (but need them).

Tank size, stocking, the natural history of the fish you keep, the ages of fish - all come in to play. What matters is the changes have to be regular, and tailored to the tanks based on research.
Completely agree, depends what you stock and what your trying to achieve

Gatesy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Redshark1 said:
Little and often is best as parameters cannot then change as much.

If more water needs changing in a week then increase the frequency not the percentage.

Consistency is the key.
Little and often is not viable for me, 3 of my tanks are overstocked
I find in my largest tank I can't keep KH under control by changing smaller 25% changes throughout the week

As long as the parameters of the water going into the tank are close to the tank water I find my fish are more active and more vibrant with the schedule I have at the moment

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Then I withdraw my advice as I don't support overstocking aquaria.

GoldenWonderRyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
im a student so have loads of time so i tend to do 20% everyday, i like doing it as it can get my corys to spawn about once a week which is super cool to watch, plus even though i am over filtered i like to always feed frozen food which i reckon pollutes the water a lot

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe the signs you used in the voting portion are reversed: the top one should be <25% to indicate less than 25% and the last one should be >50% to indicate greater than 50% change.

I do 30-50 percent on all my tanks, except my 46 gallon goldfish tank. I do 60-80 percent weekly on it.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I do 30% water changes weekly, on all my tanks, except the shrimp tank I do every 2 weeks.

Gatesy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Redshark1 said:
Then I withdraw my advice as I don't support overstocking aquaria.
I don't support it either, I have full intentions of getting larger tanks when my house is finished
In fact I will be buying new, larger tanks and setting them up with my current equipment and stocking them with the the fish I currently have, using my remaining tanks as multiple quarantine/hospital tanks (different water parameters) and a propagating tank

I love my fish, but unfortunately I have overstocked due to misinformation from many chain pet stores and lfs
Is all I can do now is provide the best possible living and water conditions for my fish I currently have

Gatesy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Galathiel said:
I believe the signs you used in the voting portion are reversed: the top one should be <25% to indicate less than 25% and the last one should be >50% to indicate greater than 50% change.

I do 30-50 percent on all my tanks, except my 46 gallon goldfish tank. I do 60-80 percent weekly on it.
****, always get those mixed up, I'm not sure how to change it now :/

KinderScout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
25% of 120 litre for me. Only the PH generally varies. Tried every two weeks (due to illness) for a month. Parameters except nitrate ( which went up a bit) stayed the same. I'm a relative newbie but I log everything in the phone app Aquarium Note (there are other similar apps). This helps a lot as I can see a graph of each water parameter over time. I can also record changes such as addition of fish, plants and tank kit (just added CO2) - also record problems and correlate with everything else. It also had a scheduler so I get reminders if when to change various filters etc. This has really helped getting a balance between tank stability and work involved. Tanks are all different but it seems stability is key so record EVERYTHING to work out what's best for your tank.

Gatesy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
KinderScout said:
25% of 120 litre for me. Only the PH generally varies. Tried every two weeks (due to illness) for a month. Parameters except nitrate ( which went up a bit) stayed the same. I'm a relative newbie but I log everything in the phone app Aquarium Note (there are other similar apps). This helps a lot as I can see a graph of each water parameter over time. I can also record changes such as addition of fish, plants and tank kit (just added CO2) - also record problems and correlate with everything else. It also had a scheduler so I get reminders if when to change various filters etc. This has really helped getting a balance between tank stability and work involved. Tanks are all different but it seems stability is key so record EVERYTHING to work out what's best for your tank.
Might have to download that!
I test my water twice a week and have a book full of my results and notes that I refer back to if I have any concerns...
Believe it or not I have been contemplating graphing my results but have not done it because of the time that I would have to spend doing it
This just may make my life a whole lot easier!
Thanks

KinderScout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gatesy said:
Might have to download that!
I test my water twice a week and have a book full of my results and notes that I refer back to if I have any concerns...
Believe it or not I have been contemplating graphing my results but have not done it because of the time that I would have to spend doing it
This just may make my life a whole lot easier!
Thanks
Screenshot_20180210-143005-640x360.png

an example of the output...

KinderScout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Screenshot_20180210-143913-720x1280.png

Maypole Hugh

Reaction score
I also do a water change every day on my 200 litre community tank, two buckets per day which equates to approximately 18 litres about (allowing for substate and decor) 10%. As has already been said these smaller daily changes are less stressful and I find this helps to keep down nitrates. My tap water has 20ppm nitrates and I find the daily water changes help keep the nitrates in my tank down to 20 to 30 ppm. I would like the nitrates to be even lower but with tap water being as high as it is then it is difficult to get down lower than 20ppm. I am fortunate as being retired I can find the 15 minutes per day to carry out this routine maintenance. My tank is well filtered having a fluval 206 rated for tanks up to 200 litres and also a Hydor external for tanks up to 150 litres. I also have seachem purigen in one my filters.

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have a 46 gallon bow front planted community tank over filtered with a Fluval FX4. I change about 75 to 80% once a week.

xloe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KinderScout said:
I should have known there was an app for this stuff. Thanks!
I do kind of like my notebook, though

The Rover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you have live plants then they are also a consideration. I have a heavily planted 36 gallon bf and I’m attempting EI dosing so I do a 50% wc once a week.

Betta tank #1 also heavily planted 10 gallon gets 50% every 5 days.

Betta tank #2 very lightly planted 3.5 gallon gets 50% every 5 days as well.

QT is a 10 gallon gets 50% twice a week if I’m not having to dose any meds.

The fish matter obviously but so do your live plants if you have them and are following a growth strategy so they have to factor in as well IMO.

I also have very low kh of 2 so consistently doing wc’s helps keep my PH stable (I hope!)

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I typically do 30% weekly on most of my tanks.

Betta tanks have been getting 50% weekly lately.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom