* How Much Water Do I Change-

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by SFGiantsGuy, Apr 11, 2018.

1. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Now that my fish-in cycle is complete in my 30 gal. medium planted tank? (ammonia: .00, nitrite: .00 and nitrate 10) 25%? 50% water change??? FYI, this is only the second time I've ever done a fish-IN cycle. Thanks.

2. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

CONGRATS! the answer is that it depends on what your nitrates do over the course of a week given your bioload. if you are fully stocked, then i'd suggest 10% weekly to maintain about 10ppm. if your nitrates go up over 10ppm, increase your pwc volumes.

you can easily do 25% if you like, but if your nitrates stay low then there's really no need. :)

3. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I would do 25% water changes which will avoid any huge shocks to your fish and won't alter chemistry too much.

4. OP
    OP
    SFGiantsGuy

Thanks. I only just have 1 platy and 2 Siamese algae eaters that hardily survived the cycle. : )

5. Timmy1027

Timmy1027 Valued Member Member

In my opinion, there is no need to change...
    FYI, maybe I am lazy, but I haven't change water for my 3 tanks for months. I just leave the eco-system do the job.

6. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

if you have live plants that take care of your nitrate, that can work. but if you don't, then water changes are essential to keep nitrates down to fish safe levels :)

7. Timmy1027

Timmy1027 Valued Member Member

Yes, my tanks are heavily planted. I did check parameters every two weeks.

8. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

There are micro nutrients that the fish need and consume. In a tank with plants that you fertialize, it's probably fine, but WC are important otherwise.

9. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Again, as stated above, much of it depends on the nitrates and bioload. I have a 72 gallon tank with approx 40 fish, 50 + Nerite snails. I do 50% every 2 weeks - my Nitrates are always under 20 and my tank is lightly planted ( mostly java moss / Moss balls )
    Since you have very few fish, I would probably say no more than 50% every 2 weeks.

I don't check Nitrates/ammonia on this tank any more because its well established but I diligently do 50% every 2 weeks.
    My 10 gallon QT tank and my 5 gallon shrimp tank also get 50 % but its every week for those tanks.

10. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I agree with the “Check nitrates” crowd.

Test regularly, find how long it takes to go over 20ppm, do a 50% change and see how long it takes to go back over 20ppm.

That would be your water change schedule, 50% whatever that time is.

11. FishMich

FishMich Valued Member Member

I do weekly 50% water changes on our 12 gallon tank. Nitrates stay at 5 ppm. I have gone sometimes 10 days between water changes and nitrates went up to 10 ppm. This tank does not have any live plants. I guess I could defintely do smaller water changes, but the fish seem really happy with their fresh water and it gives me a chance to vacuum half the gravel.

12. OP
    OP
    SFGiantsGuy

Well this tank literally JUST completed cycling about 2 days ago; my water test readings seem ideal, (.00 ammonia, .00 nitries, and 10ppm nitrates) as I have a medium planted tank (Red Tiger Lotus X1, Water Sprite #2, Crypt. Beckettii's X5, Dwarf hairgrass, a few small clumps, Java Ferns X4 on driftwood, Bacopa Carol. X a few, and a medium sized bunch 'o Java moss. I think I may just leave the water alone for a few weeks to ensure the integrity of the new tank. Thank you all for your help!

13. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

As a side note:

Stratton is pitching a great game. 6 innings, 1 hit, leading 7-0.

14. OP
    OP
    SFGiantsGuy

Yeah we need to at least get back to .500......so far, so good heh...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice