* How Much Water Do I Change-

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Now that my fish-in cycle is complete in my 30 gal. medium planted tank? (ammonia: .00, nitrite: .00 and nitrate 10) 25%? 50% water change??? FYI, this is only the second time I've ever done a fish-IN cycle. Thanks.
CONGRATS! the answer is that it depends on what your nitrates do over the course of a week given your bioload. if you are fully stocked, then i'd suggest 10% weekly to maintain about 10ppm. if your nitrates go up over 10ppm, increase your pwc volumes.

you can easily do 25% if you like, but if your nitrates stay low then there's really no need.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks. I only just have 1 platy and 2 Siamese algae eaters that hardily survived the cycle. : )

Timmy1027

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
In my opinion, there is no need to change...
FYI, maybe I am lazy, but I haven't change water for my 3 tanks for months. I just leave the eco-system do the job.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In my opinion, there is no need to change...
FYI, maybe I am lazy, but I haven't change water for my 3 tanks for months. I just leave the eco-system do the job.
if you have live plants that take care of your nitrate, that can work. but if you don't, then water changes are essential to keep nitrates down to fish safe levels

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are micro nutrients that the fish need and consume. In a tank with plants that you fertialize, it's probably fine, but WC are important otherwise.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Again, as stated above, much of it depends on the nitrates and bioload. I have a 72 gallon tank with approx 40 fish, 50 + Nerite snails. I do 50% every 2 weeks - my Nitrates are always under 20 and my tank is lightly planted ( mostly java moss / Moss balls )
Since you have very few fish, I would probably say no more than 50% every 2 weeks.

I don't check Nitrates/ammonia on this tank any more because its well established but I diligently do 50% every 2 weeks.
My 10 gallon QT tank and my 5 gallon shrimp tank also get 50 % but its every week for those tanks.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with the “Check nitrates” crowd.

Test regularly, find how long it takes to go over 20ppm, do a 50% change and see how long it takes to go back over 20ppm.

That would be your water change schedule, 50% whatever that time is.

FishMich

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do weekly 50% water changes on our 12 gallon tank. Nitrates stay at 5 ppm. I have gone sometimes 10 days between water changes and nitrates went up to 10 ppm. This tank does not have any live plants. I guess I could defintely do smaller water changes, but the fish seem really happy with their fresh water and it gives me a chance to vacuum half the gravel.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well this tank literally JUST completed cycling about 2 days ago; my water test readings seem ideal, (.00 ammonia, .00 nitries, and 10ppm nitrates) as I have a medium planted tank (Red Tiger Lotus X1, Water Sprite #2, Crypt. Beckettii's X5, Dwarf hairgrass, a few small clumps, Java Ferns X4 on driftwood, Bacopa Carol. X a few, and a medium sized bunch 'o Java moss. I think I may just leave the water alone for a few weeks to ensure the integrity of the new tank. Thank you all for your help!

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As a side note:

Stratton is pitching a great game. 6 innings, 1 hit, leading 7-0.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah we need to at least get back to .500......so far, so good heh...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom