How much water change after tank cycles Question

1. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone, Well tommorow will be 14 days that i have had 2 tanks cycling with safestart. I have not done any readings yet! It has been hard not to but i have held off. The fish seem very active and happy! One is a 30 gallon and the other is a 10 gallon. How much water change should i start with on these tanks? I will not be vacuming the gravel just yet, i heard that was'nt good to do right away with a new tank,right? After the wc on the tanks, if the readings go up, do i do another wc and add something like prime or will i have to give the tank more safestart? Thank you all so much!!!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;wv I dont know how you never tested! Kudos to you! LOL ......depending on your tank readings, will depend on what is required for water changes...if your nitrates arent that high, and everything else is perfect, id do minimal if any...the water doesnt hold much bacteria so if you do a wc, it should effect the cycle :) I hope it all worked well when you do the readings!!!!

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

When you do your readings tommorow, assuming the tanks are done cycling, you will do a water change at least big enough to bring the nitrates under 20ppm. Gravel vacing your tank is fine, it will not hurt anything. If you get an ammonia or nitrite spike after the waterchange (unlikly unless you have them in your tap) or if the tank has not quite finished cycling when you test tommorow, then you would do daily partial water changes with prime unil the cycle finishes/catches up. Unless something kills off your cycle (medications for example) there should be no need to add another bottle of safestart unless it completely didn't work. (On a side note TSS takes 10 to 14 days to cycle a tank, it is safe to start tesing on the 10th day, as long as you don't do a waterchange until the tank is cycled or on the 14th day, whichevr comes first)

4. RTBS Member Member

Initially I would say to test the water and do water changes accordingly... You will probably get many different answers because there is no set answer... What determines my water changes is the amount of ammonia... The higher the levels the larger the percentage of water... Honestly if you stock slowly and do not overstock a simple 20% weekly water change works well... If you have a lower amount of ammonia .25 or lower just change 30-35% and up to a reading of .50 change 50%... Whatever works for you...

5. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Thanks all for the info!! I will test soon and get my readings and hopefully all is well! Thanks again for your help!!!!!!!!!!