How Much Used Media

SmallFishGuy
So today I’m getting a bigger 3ft aquarium and obviously I want to be putting my fish from my 2ft tank into there as soon as I can but with a new tank comes a new filter, I know you can use old filter media to help it be used faster and I know you can put used substrate in aswell but how much can I put in for it to be up and running within like 10/12 hours (overnight)

sasha94
The more the better usually.

TexasGuppy
Move over the whole filter and media if possible.
If new filter is larger, put the old one in front of it for a few weeks. Should be able to move fish immediately since it's the same bioload. Dose Prime just in case and monitor levels.

Rok55
All of it and go with TexasGuppy advice

Mary765
I just move the media from my old filter into the new filter space (along with some of the new un-seeded filter media to fill up the remaining space).

Gravel doesn't do masses but move some over if you want!

By moving all my gravel and integrating all my old filter media I was able to just hold my fish in a bucket for about 6 hours while I set the tank up before the new tank was safe and ready to move them back again!

SmallFishGuy
But I need the old filter for the tank it is already in, I’m moving fish from a smaller tank into that one too, I think I will just rinse my sponges etc and pour all the slimy gunk into the new filter along with some of the bioballs and cut some sponges off etc put aload of sand into the new tank on top of new sand, move rocks and plants etc and do a water change from my tank into the bigger one

TexasGuppy
You'll probably still have a minI cycle. Just keep an eye on it.

Mary765
I agree. Check your parameters daily.

varmint
But I need the old filter for the tank it is already in, I’m moving fish from a smaller tank into that one too, I think I will just rinse my sponges etc and pour all the slimy gunk into the new filter along with some of the bioballs and cut some sponges off etc put aload of sand into the new tank on top of new sand, move rocks and plants etc and do a water change from my tank into the bigger one
Pouring slimy gunk in your new filter, is not going to do anything for your cycle. But dosing Stability will help protect your fish and speed up the cycling process. Use as per directions on the bottle. Good luck.

SmallFishGuy
I don’t have any stability, I only have fluval water conditioner and I’m not able to get to my lfs before this weekend

varmint
I don’t have any stability, I only have fluval water conditioner and I’m not able to get to my lfs before this weekend
Personally, I would wait till I can get the stability, to be on the safe side. While there, I would pickup a bottle of Prime and use that as your water conditioner. Hope this helps.

TexasGuppy
Stability doesn't protect fish, it's only bacteria starter. Seachem prime will help protect fish from ammonia and nitrites for 24-48 hours only. Fluval conditioner probably works similar, but not sure the duration. I would confirm that. I would add normal dose each day you detect ammonia or nitrites.

varmint
Stability prevents new tank syndrome, which in turn protects your fish. Fluval conditioner will do nothing to help the cycling process. Up to the OP.

TexasGuppy
You need something to protect fish from ammonia and nitrites while cycling with fish. Conditioners do that. Stability will speed up the cycle. What else does it do? I.E. What do you mean by new tank syndrome?

SmallFishGuy
Okay so I’ve come to the conclusion that I should be able to connect my filter from my tank I have now to the new one I have, seeing as they are the same brand and one can be used as a pre filter, that should get the new filter to have BB by the time I have to move the smaller filter back to the other tank at the start of next week right?

TexasGuppy
Generally I see recommendations of two weeks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Celestialgirl
Replies
Views
live4wetsleeves
Top Bottom