How Much To Stock A 36 Gallon?

atyshka

Reaction score
I've had a 36 gallon aquarium for about five years now and I've really loved taking care of it. One of my oldest fish, an angelfish, recently died and I'm trying to decide whether I should get more fish or not. I currently have one remaining large angel, three platys, two corys, and two gouramis. Can I add more fish or should I leave it at this? I know corys prefer schooling so I thought about getting more of those, but I really did love having the two angelfish and I'm considering raising another. Back when I had two adult angels, I was doing 30% water changes weekly. It's also heavily planted which helps soak up nitrates. Do you think I had it overstocked or not?

Attachments

Epicoz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don’t think so but I’m not sure

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd personally stick with one angel. It's likely the new angel will end up being a punching bag for your existing angel....

As for cories, I would reccomend getting more. Looks like you have at least one bronze cory, so getting more of those would be a good idea. 6-8 bronze cories would look nice.

Another thing I would suggest is getting a school of larger tetras or rasboras, to add some visual interest. Couple of species come to mind, including rosy tetras, rummynose, lemon, black/red phantoms (either all!), harlequin rasboras, emerald eye rasboras and pristella tetras come to mind. A group of 8 -10 would look nice and really fill out the tank.

caitlinemm

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd say to keep the singular angel, add some more corydoras to make is a school and maybe add 6 of a large species of tetra. Black skirt?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom