How Much To Feed??

Whip

Hi. I’ve got 9 Red Eye Tetras and 8 Blacktop Coryodoras. I can’t seem to find out exactly how much I should be feeding them. I’ve seen as little as a flake for the tetras up to as much as they’ll eat in 3 minutes. I thought I was being stingy with food and now thinking even a couple little pinch’s may be way over doing it. Same thing with the Corys. I really don’t know. I had a minI crash when I added the Corys. I didn’t feed the tank for 2 days while I got the parameters back on track and they ate the Assassin snail that was in there. At least one of em did. Not big deal but they seem voracious when I feed them. If anyone has some strict guidelines I’d appreciate it. Looking at their stomachs is t going to help much as I don’t have enough experience to know what I’m seeing at this point. Thanks.

Heron

The reason for your micro crash was simply that you added an increase in the filter load when you added the corys, this is normal when you add a lot of fish at once. Many fish are always hungry even when they have eaten enough so their appetite is no indication of when you've fed enough. Most beginners overfeed their fish. The rule you find quoted in many books is as much as they can eat in 3-5 mins. However this does not account for the fact different fish eat at different levels, surface feeders eat the food as soon as it hits the water whilst bottom feeders need to wait until it sinks. Try reducing the amount you feed , if the fish continue to look healthy then your feeding enough, if they get thinner after a few days increase it a bit. It is best not to feed them one day each week. This prevents constipation and encourages them to eat any uneaten food on the floor.

Gone

The toxin levels (nitrate in a cycled tank) are determined by the amount of food you put in, not by the number of fish.

You can determine whether your level of feeding is appropriate by testing the water. If nitrates are kept a the level you want with your water change regimen, your feeding is fine. If you struggle to keep nitrates down, you're probably overfeeding.

Dechi

I give my 2 corys 1 shrimp pellet and 1/4 spiruline tab each per night. Once in a while I forget.

GlennO

Are you only feeding flakes? Red Eyes are voracious feeders. They will get 90% of it before any of it reaches the Corys unless you dump a heap in, in which case you will be overfeeding. Sprinkle some flakes on top, enough for the Red Eyes to consume within a couple of minutes while adding some bottom feeder pellets or wafers for the Corys .

Whip

The reason for your micro crash was simply that you added an increase in the filter load when you added the corys, this is normal when you add a lot of fish at once. Many fish are always hungry even when they have eaten enough so their appetite is no indication of when you've fed enough. Most beginners overfeed their fish. The rule you find quoted in many books is as much as they can eat in 3-5 mins. However this does not account for the fact different fish eat at different levels, surface feeders eat the food as soon as it hits the water whilst bottom feeders need to wait until it sinks. Try reducing the amount you feed , if the fish continue to look healthy then your feeding enough, if they get thinner after a few days increase it a bit. It is best not to feed them one day each week. This prevents constipation and encourages them to eat any uneaten food on the floor.

Thank you. That's a little more clear. At first I thought you were saying ‘no, do not only feed them once a week’... I was thinking hmmm, did I say I only feed them once a week? Ha. I think I’ve been over feeding the Tetras. Not much but some. This one little guy always comes flying right up to me saying, "what’s up dude!?" Doing the food dance. I just don’t want to let him down.

The toxin levels (nitrate in a cycled tank) are determined by the amount of food you put in, not by the number of fish.

You can determine whether your level of feeding is appropriate by testing the water. If nitrates are kept a the level you want with your water change regimen, your feeding is fine. If you struggle to keep nitrates down, you're probably overfeeding.

Hmm. That’s information I have not heard before. Thank you!

Are you only feeding flakes? Red Eyes are voracious feeders. They will get 90% of it before any of it reaches the Corys unless you dump a heap in, in which case you will be overfeeding. Sprinkle some flakes on top, enough for the Red Eyes to consume within a couple of minutes while adding some bottom feeder pellets or wafers for the Corys .

No. I’ve got flakes, shrimp pellets, bug bites, HikarI sinking wafers, freeze dried bloodworms, and some veggie pellets or something.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Otocinclus13
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views