How Much To Feed Pygmy Cories?

Algonquin

So I'm loving my new little Pygmies - I got 18 of them on Black Friday. They are incredibly cute, active and seem healthy. The first couple of days, I dropped a bunch of sinking micro-pellets in their tank (they're currently the only inhabitants by the way). Only a couple of them seemed to notice the pellets... I saw one of them push a pellet around a bit, but I'm not sure if he actually ate any or not (they're the same colour as the sand, so it's tricky to spot these tiny pellets!) They're the smallest pellets I could find - 0.5mm, but are still about as big as one of the cories eyes! So, I went out and got HikarI Sinking Carnivore Pellets. The pellets are about the size of a green pea, but a flat disc. After a couple of minutes in the tank, they expand (to maybe 3 or 4 times the original size) and the cories seem to love them. They don't last long in the tank.

My question is, how many pellets should I be feeding each day? They are still acting fairly shy - it's a newly set up tank, and I need more plants & hides for them. I don't generally see more than 8 or 10 out at a time, so it's hard to tell if everyone is getting enough food. I don't want to over or under feed them. I've been putting in 2 pellets per day (one in the morning and one at night). Is that enough? Too much? They seem a bit more comfortable when the light is off, or in the evening when I have the blue tank light on, so I make a point to feed them then.

I tried feeding them some frozen brine shrimp as well, but it just floated around the tank... since they really only eat off the sand, they didn't seem to notice it. (I turned the filters off when I put the shrimp in, trying to get it to sink, but no luck, it's just too lightweight.) Thought maybe some frozen bloodworms might be better, once a week or so?

I'd love some advice on feeding these little guys!

Brooklyn Vasquez

Algonquin Glad to see you are getting pygmaeus Cories (in fact I will be getting some too!) I suggest you give them some NLS foods many people have suggested them and they have many options to choose from but if you are thinking HikarI Sinking Pellets seem preferable to you and your fish then go ahead and stick with it! I heard bloodworms seem to really attract fish and they will eat it, I say you should give it a try! I also suggest that you feed them twice a day until they start to really enjoy eating the pellets you are giving them. Once they do you should feed them 3 times a day (although it may be too much.) If they seem to come out when the light is off or it is in night time mode turn your lights off 10-30 minutes before feeding them (so they can get used to having the light on.) Don't make the same mistake you did with the brine shrimp and get bloodworm that can sink to the bottom or mid-level of the tank. Pygmaeus cories are different from other cories because they also love hanging out in the mid-level of the tank so keep in mind to get tall plants that reach the mid-level of the tank. Get some cave ornaments and you might be set!

Hope it goes well!
Good luck!

Questions: What brine shrimp are you using?
What are the dimensions of your tank?

NOTE: I don't have fish, but I just research a lot (I might get myself some this Christmas!) so I may be wrong sorry.

Algonquin

Actually, I almost bought the NLS micro pellets, but they were twice the price of the Northfin Community ones I ended up with - my guppies are happy with those, so I was hoping the cories would like them too. I'll try them on the micro pellets again once they are more used to a regular feeding routine and see how it goes (variety is good!). They were being fed a combination of shrimp pellets, sinking wafers like what I've got, and occasional algae wafers when they were at the LFS.
The brine shrimp is Omega One brand, they're little minI 'pucks' of frozen shrimp.
The tank is a 20 "high", so the footprint is 24" long, 12" wide and 18" high.

Brooklyn Vasquez

Actually, I almost bought the NLS micro pellets, but they were twice the price of the Northfin Community ones I ended up with - my guppies are happy with those, so I was hoping the cories would like them too. I'll try them on the micro pellets again once they are more used to a regular feeding routine and see how it goes (variety is good!). They were being fed a combination of shrimp pellets, sinking wafers like what I've got, and occasional algae wafers when they were at the LFS.
The brine shrimp is Omega One brand, they're little minI 'pucks' of frozen shrimp.
The tank is a 20 "high", so the footprint is 24" long, 12" wide and 18" high.
Algonquin I was about to get the same exact brine shrimp from Petsmart. I like your variety of foods but I see how price can be a problem. I don't really see the reason why your cories are reacting to your food differently

Algonquin

I'm not overly concerned about the variety at this point - they are eating and look good, so no huge concerns - variety will come in time. I'm just not sure how much they should be getting daily - they're so tiny, but there's a lot of them, so I don't want to over or under feed. Someone out there with pygmies will chime in at some point I'm sure

bitseriously

If you go for bloodworms, I recommend the minis, if you can get them. I got some last year from petsmart, haven’t seen them at Als. The cubes are smaller, and the worms are too. Way more in keeping w tiny Pygmy mouths.

Algonquin

Hey Bit, looks like I can get those at my local petsmart - they're the San Francisco Bay brand minI bloodworms, correct? Thanks for the tip!

Still looking for some advice on the number of sinking/expanding pellets per day... I gave them 2 last night, as most of the 18 were out and about in the tank. Didn't take long for them to gobble it all up

imba

I feed HikarI sinking wafers (the green colored one) to my corydoras hastatus too. I break the wafers out into 4 pieces so that they are well spread out for everyone to have a bite.

1 wafer every 2 days is what I feed 8 cories.

Twinkle

Hi, I also have 18 pygmies! I feed one of those hikarI sinking wafers a day. What they really like though is live brine shrimp. You buy the eggs and it isn't too hard to raise a batch. If you feed them that they will probably breed! Mine have bred almost every time I have fed live brine shrimp. I tried micro worms but those are more difficult to raise because they are smelly.

Algonquin

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm not sure on the size of the sinking wafers you are feeding, compared to the HikarI Carnivore pellets I'm using. I can get the wafers at my lfs, so I'll pick up a bag and compare (and then the fishies will get some variety too!) I've been feeding 1 pellet in the evening when it's darker and quiet. If I've just done a water change, which brings them all out and about (they still hide a lot) I'll put in 2 pellets to make sure they all get some.
Nice tip on the brine shrimp - although I'm not really at the point where I want to encourage breeding (if it happens, great!) or take on another project (raising bbs). Breeding them is not my priority at the moment, as I'm still slowly stocking the tank.
Thanks everyone!

bgclarke

I've had a small group of pygmy cories for not quite two years.
Mine still hide quite a lot.

The tank they are in has been problematic for me and it had a massive die off following a 50 hour power outage in September (tornado), so I decided to tear it down.
I removed most of the shrimp and the remaining ember tetras.
As I was preparing to catch and move the pygmy cories, I discovered lots of pygmy cory fry in the tank.
I didn't do anything out of the ordinary to encourage breeding, it just happened.

Because of this thread, I'm going to pick up some of those hikarI pellets to try with my tanks.

HairyCatFish

I have 10 pygmaeus and 5 hastatus pygmy Cory's. It sounds like your already feeding them well. Here's just some of what I feed my fat little Corydoras.
Omega one Veggie Rounds
Omega one shrimp pellets
Bug bites
Vibra bites
Micro pellets
HikarI blood worms, specifically the slabs, the worms are thinner, smaller than other brands I buy.
Frozen brine shrimp
Frozen daphnia is great all my fish love it and it's tiny, perfect for tiny mouths.

I do feed my tanks freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms but it tends to want to float at the surface so they're mostly eaten by my upper and mid level fish. I don't think the pygmy Cory's get to eat much of it.

Brooklyn Vasquez

I heard that many fish really love krill. I don't have much experience with krill but I just put this comment out there in case you want to try. Live krill is the way to go and I think it has more nutrients than frozen brine shrimp. Bloodworms with krill will be a great variety for pygmy cories as they will dig all the scraps for the food!

HairyCatFish

Oh and I got carried away with variety of foods and forgot to mention, since the OP question was asking about feeding amounts and frequency.
I only feed my pygmy Cory's tank about once a night, and twice on weekends or days when I'm off work. But since it's a community tank I usually offer at least 2 but most times 3 or 4 different types of food. Something for each level of the tank so everyone gets to eat...
Sinking pellets and/or wafers for the bottom feeders, and flakes or other floating foods for the top feeders. Eventually some of that will swirl around in the current and make it to the bottom where the pygmy Cory's can eat it.
Also the OP mentioned turning off the filter at feeding time. I don't turn off my filters during feeding because I want the food to get distributed by the flow throughout the tank. I have thick bushy plants, and when floating food gets pushed down by the flow it gets trapped or caught on it. And I often see my Corydoras foraging and picking food from the plants and leaves.
I also use a sponge prefilter on the intake tube so it doesn't get sucked into the filter but instead gets caught in the sponge and I often see my fish picking food off of that. If you use some of the ideas I think you'll be okay.

ASHLEY R COOK

My panda cories love NLS 0.5mm sinking. Idk how much smaller dwarf cories are.

bgclarke

My panda cories love NLS 0.5mm sinking. Idk how much smaller dwarf cories are.
I discovered this week that my pandas also love those NLS pellets.
My Pygmy cories are about half the size of my largest (mama) panda cory.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ystrout
Replies
Views
Katie Dawn
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views