How Much To Feed My Cory's?

1. C

CPARKTX Valued Member Member

I have three peppered cory's and have no idea if they get enough to eat since they aren't aggressive eaters. I usually drop in about 6 - 7 tiny shrimp/lobster pellets (and assume the shrimp get half of those), and 1 - 2 Hikari sinking wafers. I do this 5 days a week. I doubt they get much uneaten fish flakes, the neon tetras hit that pretty hard and I don't see much escape them and sink down.

Is this about right? More or less?

2. RyRyTheAquariumGuy

RyRyTheAquariumGuy Valued Member Member

to me this sounds pretty good. you're right when you say that corys are not super aggressive feeders. I feed my corys a mixture of pellets and wafers and they seem to be doing fine. Remember though, the corys go nuts once you go to bed haha! So they might be eating more than you think.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CPARKTX Valued Member Member

My corys may be fine, but I'm stressed worrying that they get enough to eat. I have three peppered corys in a 20g tank, but I also have 2 ghost, 3 Amano and 1 RCS shrimp -- all of who are voracious eaters. I have been feeding about 5 shrimp pellets and three Hikari sinking wafers, but I notice that the shrimp immediately grab the shrimp pellets, and even manage to carry off the (relatively) huge sinking wafers. How much do the corys need to eat? How do I know if they are getting enough? Is there a better food to be feeding them?

FYI I tried putting in some cucumber the other day....they had no interest at all.

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, corys aren't algae or veg eaters they need a more carnivorous diet so the cucumber wouldn't have interested them.
    The shrimp pellets are fine for them & they'd also appreciate if you can get it, some frozen or live bloodworms, brine shrimp etc a few times a week.
    My shrimp also like to steal pellets from under the corys noses so I crush some of the pellets so they can't steal it all, the corys can easily find the tiniest particles of food with their barbels.