How much to feed my Corydoras?

Bamboothebetta

Reaction score
I recently stocked a species only tank with 6 baby Corydoras. I have been feeding them one sinking algae wafer a day but I am wondering if I should be feeding them more since there are no other fish in the tank and thus no other food going into the tank. There are live plants and Marino balls, but unsure if they eat those. All of them are babies- maybe an inch at most.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Swap algaewafers for shrimppellets.
Corydoras are on the carnivorious of the spectrum. Algaewafers aren't giving them a lot of nutrition. They need protein.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes definitely more . They are micro predators that eat worms and small creatures in leaf litter. As they are young I would feed ( almost) one of those sinking pellets per cory . I have not used those bloodworms but would assume they are like any others are replace the sinking pellets with them sometimes.

OP
B

Bamboothebetta

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
Yes definitely more . They are micro predators that eat worms and small creatures in leaf litter. As they are young I would feed ( almost) one of those sinking pellets per cory . I have not used those bloodworms but would assume they are like any others are replace the sinking pellets with them sometimes.
poor little guys! I’ve only had them 2 days and I didn’t want to over feed them but one pellet didn’t seem like enough. Would maybe 2 in the morning, 2in the evening be good? I fed those bloodworms once a week to newt/betta.Is once a week good for the Corydoras too?
DoubleDutch said:
Hahahaha okay. You mentioned them.in your initial post. It is easier to underfeed than to overfeed Corys.
I guess I did. No idea why I do have algae wafers for shrimps but not for the corydoras (though I could put some in their tank from time to time if they’d like them???)

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bamboothebetta said:
poor little guys! I’ve only had them 2 days and I didn’t want to over feed them but one pellet didn’t seem like enough. Would maybe 2 in the morning, 2in the evening be good? I fed those bloodworms once a week to newt/betta.Is once a week good for the Corydoras too?

I guess I did. No idea why I do have algae wafers for shrimps but not for the corydoras (though I could put some in their tank from time to time if they’d like them???)
Yes you can. Variation is keyword.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Try feeding frozen blood worms or live bloodworms. That might give you an idea of how much they can eat? .
As you say you have no other fish in the tank they are not getting anything else in the way of food. They don’t eat natural algae that grows in tanks . They are swimming around looking for meat. As no other fish are dropping fish eggs there may be very little in the way of protein to find.

OP
B

Bamboothebetta

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
Try feeding frozen blood worms or live bloodworms. That might give you an idea of how much they can eat? .
As you say you have no other fish in the tank they are not getting anything else in the way of food. They don’t eat natural algae that grows in tanks . They are swimming around looking for meat. As no other fish are dropping fish eggs there may be very little in the way of protein to find.
I will definitely start feeding them more starting this morning! I haven’t done frozen bloodworms in years (my newt used to eat them but then I got the dried) but I can get those again.

There actually isn’t much info out there on Corydora only aquariums. Everything seems to just be talking about supplementing food to them in community tanks.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A link that might interest you?
Hey Bamboothebetta even if you have done this before we can all learn something new?
This system or dry potatoes mix is way better than oatmeal IMO.

OP
B

Bamboothebetta

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
A link that might interest you?
Hey Bamboothebetta even if you have done this before we can all learn something new?
This system or dry potatoes mix is way better than oatmeal IMO.

I’ve never done anything with aquatic worms but I’ve raised crickets and mealworms before (been keeping reptiles and amphibians since I was a kid. Am relatively new in the past few years to keeping fish/shrimps (unless you count the ill fated goldfish I won at a carnival as a kid).

I’m going to be getting a 30-40 gallon tank around Christmas time that I’m going to be wanting to stock with just corydoras. I absolutely love them and am raising these guys now so I have some bigger ones right away to put in a big tank.

New Threads