How Much To Feed Betta

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi all. We are feeding our Betta the Hikari Betta bio-gold pellets but unsure how much to give her.

What does everyone else do?
I have been doing about 3-4 pellets 3 times a day and she eats them all. Not sure if this is enough or not enough.

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed 3 twice a day. There stomach is only as big as their eye. I’d let four of your bio gold pellets soak in water and see how much they expand. Makes it a little easier to see if you’re over feeding.

Three times a day seems like a lot.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
qchris87 said:
I feed 3 twice a day. There stomach is only as big as their eye. I’d let four of your bio gold pellets soak in water and see how much they expand. Makes it a little easier to see if you’re over feeding.

Three times a day seems like a lot.
I had read someone else on here did that so that’s why I did! I will go to twice a day. We’ve only had her since Sunday.

KarlsJr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
+1 for feeding 3 pellets twice a day. I started out feeding the Hikari pellets to my betta and that was a good amount for me.

I've found that the "feed however much they will eat in 2 minutes" rule doesn't apply to my betta. She would eat 50 pellets if I gave them to her, and still act like she's starving! I had to judge the amount I feed based on how bloated her belly looked.

This post shows the difference in size for dry vs soaked NLS, Omega One, and Hikari betta pellets:
Dry vs. pre-soaked pellets: which do you feed and how much? • r/bettafish

Biiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have been using the hikari betta bio gold pellets for about 6 years. I feed my betta twice a day, usually about 10 - 15 pellets each time. They are very tiny! My betta is not overweight and is very active and in good health he doesn't always eat them all and sometimes I might only feed him once a day or give him some daphnia instead of the pellets!

When I've had a new betta I usually give them a couple at a time to see how many they will eat, especially if they are younger and smaller.

Hope this helps!

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Biiba said:
I have been using the hikari betta bio gold pellets for about 6 years. I feed my betta twice a day, usually about 10 - 15 pellets each time. They are very tiny! My betta is not overweight and is very active and in good health he doesn't always eat them all and sometimes I might only feed him once a day or give him some daphnia instead of the pellets!

When I've had a new betta I usually give them a couple at a time to see how many they will eat, especially if they are younger and smaller.

Hope this helps!
Wow that is a lot! Lol I honestly didn’t think she’d eat anything right away being in a new home but she’s been gobbling down everything I give her. Even some blood worms. She’s more active now that she has gotten food in her. Not sure if petco even feeds them.

KarlsJr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think there are "baby" pellets as well as normal sized ones... If you're using the baby version, you'll probably want to use more.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
KarlsJr said:
I think there are "baby" pellets as well as normal sized ones... If you're using the baby version, you'll probably want to use more.
I need to look! They are pretty small.

Yerlany

Reaction score
I use Omega One pellets and will usually feed about a pinch (10 or so pellets) once or twice a day. My fish however wont eat from the surface... they like to play with their food. Once it starts to sink they will chase them down, but if it touches the ground... game over they wont eat it and will wait for another to sink. I'd say they eat maybe 4 or 5 pellets and the rest feed the ghost shrimp.

Biiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nicole B said:
Wow that is a lot! Lol I honestly didn’t think she’d eat anything right away being in a new home but she’s been gobbling down everything I give her. Even some blood worms. She’s more active now that she has gotten food in her. Not sure if petco even feeds them.
That's a good sign that she's eating! I'm not sure about Petco but I know in some of the pet stores here they only feed them a couple of times a week. A lot of the betta pellets are much bigger than the hikari bio gold pellets so that's why people suggest only giving 2 or 3 pellets at a time.

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Biiba said:
That's a good sign that she's eating! I'm not sure about Petco but I know in some of the pet stores here they only feed them a couple of times a week. A lot of the betta pellets are much bigger than the hikari bio gold pellets so that's why people suggest only giving 2 or 3 pellets at a time.
I threw away the package so not sure if they are the baby ones or not but she is a baby elephant ear Betta. So I could of gotten the baby ones. She’s been pooping so I don’t think I’m feeding too much. Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom