How Much Substrate

1. xARIZ0NAx Member Member

Ok so i've been told when putting gravel sand or substrate put about 2 to 3 inches worth. But i plan on planting my tank so do i put 2 to 3 inches of substrate then my sand or can it be 1 1/2 inches of substrate and 1 1/2 inches of sand i currently have 60 pounds of sand in my tank now:confused:

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Well sand is a substrate, for a planted tank, I would aim for 2 to 3 inches total. Probibly closer to 3 if you are doing 2 layers of different substrates.

3. xARIZ0NAx Member Member

i was gonna get some CaribSea® FloraMax™ Planted Aquarium Substrate just didn't know how much i really should get

4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I would think half and half would work. Not sure how much that substrate weights compared to sand or gravel though... hopefully some one else can come along and tell you. I think 60 to 80 lbs would be a good place to start, unless it is much lighter by volume then gravel.

5. xARIZ0NAx Member Member

i dont even know witch one to get Seachem Flourite Plant Substrate, Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate, or CaribSea Midnight Black Floramax Premium Aquarium Substrate i read the reviews on all three and people say there great but just know what to get:confused:

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

You really don't need any special substrate for the plants, I have some growing just as well in gravel tanks as I do with them in flouromax based tanks. Its more about lights and nutrients than the ground they grow in.

7. backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

You could also go old school and put some regular potting soil in there under the gravel. Make sure there is no fertilizer in it and you are good to go. That's what I have in my lew tech tank and the plants love it. I add no ferts to the tank and they seem great.

You need to make sure that the gravel will hold down the soil by putting some soil in a 2L bottle and putting 2-3' of gravel ontop. then add water and see if the gravel holds down the soil. And you don't EVER gravel vac, this is where most of the nutrients come from for the plants.

Worth doing a bit more reading up but the information is pretty readily available on various forums.

8. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Exactly!! I have plants in plain sand, in gravel and in Fluorite. So long at they have the proper balance with lighting, fertilization and CO2 supplementation to meet their needs, substrate doesn't matter.

As for depth, plants stay rooted when the total substrate depth is 3 inches IME.

9. SJ408 Initiate Member

3 inches is ideal! I tried to plant some stems in an inch and a half of substrate, but didn't work out well:p