How much should you feed big mystery snails?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by JaneGael, Feb 12, 2016.

1. JaneGael

JaneGaelValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have 8 big mystery snails in my 29g, 3 in one of the 5g and one in a 3g. I'm never sure how much to feed them. I got the Hakari small sinking bottom feeder wafers for both carnivores and algae eaters. I've been putting a few in - 5 or 6 in the big tank and then feeding again when they have cleaned up what I put in. My bladder snails are populating, but Petco said I can bring them in and put them in their plant tank if I get too many, so they don't worry me.

I have a tendency to over feed, so I thought I should ask how much to put down. I don't know if snails can get too fat or not. I lost one yesterday because he committed suicide by getting out of the tank and either going for a long walk, or attracting the attention of the dogs and cat and getting rolled around the floor. If he hadn't been out for hours he might have lived, as he was not chewed on. Poor little guy, what a way to go.

2. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +353
    Experience:
    3 years
    I'm sorry for your loss. Personally, I try to make sure I have about 1 piece for snail. When I'm doing wafers, I'll break them in half, so 1 wafer per 2 snails. They don't seem to work like fish, where fish will keep eating and eating and eating, mine at least, eat for a little bit, then wander off to do whatever else they wanted to do.

3. OP
    OP
    JaneGael

JaneGaelValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks for the sympathy, I felt awful and still do. I've truly fallen in love with my snails.

The wafers are tiny, less than a half an inch across and I'm not sure if you try to split those or the larger ones. I guess it's pretty hard to over feed them, so I'll stop worrying about it. They sure like the wafers and the brine shrimp I squirt down in their feeding area as well.

4. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +353
    Experience:
    3 years
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about overfeeding so much as worry about leaving left over food in the tank for too long and it possibly reducing water quality.