How much should i feed my platy fry

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
How much should i feed my fry. i have 13 - 3 week old fry and 30 1 week old fry in a 5 gallon tank.
i feed them crushed flake food mixed with crushed shrimp. I feed them at 7am and 6 pm.
so i feed them twice a day, should i be feeding them more often.

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thats fine, you can feed younger fry more often 3 times maybe, I only do when they are a few days old then I space it back out to twice a day

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I fed mine 4x a day crushed up flakes (in the morning, evening and before the light goes out). And at about noon, I fed them frozen baby brine shrimp (all my other fish were jealous). All that feeding was a suggestion from the owner of the lfs. But after about 4-5 months of doing that it became to pricey and I let them all go back into the main tank from their little breeding net. When they were let into the main tank, they all hid for a few days, while eating from the live plants, and after that they were all brave enough to come out and swim with the other fish and none of the others bothered them at all.
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Twice a day is fine. What your doing sounds good. Good clean water is almost as important and haow you feed them so keep up the watr changes.
Carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is very important. If the water quality is not the greatest, the fry will suffer in the worst way possible which I hope doesn't happen to you. Hope this helped.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Joe G said:
How much should i feed my fry. i have 13 - 3 week old fry and 30 1 week old fry in a 5 gallon tank.
i feed them crushed flake food mixed with crushed shrimp. I feed them at 7am and 6 pm.
so i feed them twice a day, should i be feeding them more often.
Guess I have the answer to one of my questions in the last topic. I started out with 4x a day when we had the 1st batch, but I think I was overfeeding and causing them trouble so I feed them 2x a day now from Day 1 and they seem happy. I took a few varieties of flakes, put them in a plastic snack bag & crushed them to powder with a rolling pin & they get a pinch of that each feeding.. I've heard of fry food at the pet stores, but the Petco in our little town doesn't have it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom