How much should getting glass cut cost? Building a sump.

MoshJosh

I am getting four pieces of glass cut, eighth of an inch, and one of them has an internal right angle cut into it (like a fat L shape). Largest piece is 10“ x 10“. Glass shop says it’s gonna be $130? It seems crazy steep in comparison to glass I’ve had cut before, but in the time of the pandemic have prices gone up? Is the internal right angle/L-shaped piece of glass really that much more expensive? Would love to hear your guys thoughts. I tried to contact other glass places in my area, called two of them and never got an answer. Also, the place that wants to charge 130 basically told me they couldn’t round the bottom corners to account for the silicone???

kansas

A local shop told me it would cost around $35 for a piece of tempered glass 15 x 5.5 x 1/4. Dunno know if that tell you anything.

JustAFishServant

If you buy the glass at Lowe's or some Home Depot stores, they'll cut it for free. That's what I do, and is how I begin to build my tanks :)

kansas

If you buy the glass at Lowe's or some Home Depot stores, they'll cut it for free. That's what I do, and is how I begin to build my tanks :)
Regular old window glass? How big a tank?

RayClem

You do not have to build your sump from scratch. Start with a suitable size container.

I made one from a used 29 gallon aquarium and then constructed baffles from acrylic sealed with silicone.

I have also used large polyethylene storage bins as the basis of the sump. They may not be as fancy as a commercially made sump, but they get the job done. I would rather spend the money on stuff for the tank than spend it on the sump.

MoshJosh

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, I wanted to give a bit of an update. Also, forgot to mention this will be a 10 gallon sump made out of a standard rimmed tank. I would cut my own glass except, I’m terrible at it, and I need a L-shaped piece of glass that I don’t think I could cut at home. So, I called a different company this morning they said not only could they make the cuts I need, round the corners to account for silicone, they also quoted me for half the price!!! So needless to say I’m going with the second company, gonna be 60 bucks for four sheets of 3/16 glass. I could’ve gone thicker, but I thought it was a little silly making baffles thicker than the actual tank.

TClare

That does sound way too expensive, the 10mm glass for my approx 150 gallon tank, pieces cut to size, edges finished off and delivered was $120. For my even bigger, 2m long tank it cost about $200. OK I am not in the US but even so…

Posted before reading your latest, that sounds better!

FishDin

It's so cheap to have glass cut that I pay to have it done so I don't have to bother. I guess it depends on where you live.

One time I did have to pay a lot for one piece because they way I wanted it finished couldn't be done by the local shops and had to be sent away for finishing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Disturbed.)
Replies
Views
reddbelly
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views