How much Seachem Prime should I use?

Lomein

Hi,
When I do water changes I add water back with a 1-gallon bucket. How much of the conditioner should I use on the water? According to the instructions it is better if I add it to the water instead of adding it directly to the tank. Thanks in advance

StarGirl

Most people who use Pythons add the amount for the whole tank and then add the water in. Make sure the water is the same temp as the tank!

Donthemon

Half a capful to the tank.

mimo91088

Donthemon said:
Half a capful to the tank.
Lol am I taking crazy pills here?! Half a capful?!

I use a 1 gallon plastic jug for top offs and small tank water changes all the time. After filling I just add 4-5 drops into the jug, cap and shake it a few seconds then into the tank it goes. I haven't had a problem yet.

Edit to add: I DO temp match it with a laser thermometer first. Like StarGirl said, that part is important.

Donthemon

Half a cap of the Seachem prime bottle. One capful treats like 50 gallons. A little more never hurts

mimo91088

Donthemon said:
Half a cap of the Seachem prime bottle. One capful treats like 50 gallons. A little more never hurts
But if you add it to the new water first, why would you dose the whole tank, and why at more than double?

ZachG

That stuff is like the moonshine of tank conditioner, a little goes a long way!

mimo91088

ZachG said:
That stuff is like the moonshine of tank conditioner, a little goes a long way!
I mean I overdose it too on occasion. But that amount sounds like setting your house on fire to kill the spider you saw under the sink. Sure. It works. But why? Lol

jtjgg

" Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 US gallons) of new water. "

5 mL = 100 drops, so 2 drops per gallon

ButtercuptheOranda

I like getting the small bottles cause it’s 2 drops per gallon

Noroomforshoe

2 eye dropper drops ber gallon, a little extra wont hurt, but A lot xtra will hurt your wallet. I have a python, I use enough for the new water only but I suppose a little extra happens somtimes. I add the full amount to the tank before i start refilling the tank I never have cycling issues/lost cycle issues, I have done it this way for years. Chlorine is not an instant killer.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom