How Much Sand For A 29 Gallon Fish Tank?

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I want to get black sand for my 29 but dont know how much to get. I read some artucles but none of them helped. An exact answer would be much appreciated.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 34 gallon with s foot print similar to a 29. I wanted sand, but didn’t want the risk if anaerobic bacteria that can occur with >2 inch depth. I bought a 59# bag of BDBS & it worked great.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Best that I remember, I used about 35 pounds of BDBS in my 20 long (same footprint as a 29).

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just buy a bag that you would estimate to be enough. Then, shoot for a depth of 1.5-2” substrate depth. I don’t have experience with any kinds of blac( sands, so it may be different than other substrates.

Phil4Fish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
How much for a "29 gallon"
29x1.5=43.5 pounds

If your bag of black sand you linked weighs 20 pounds, then you can buy 2 bags and be totally fine.

It's really more about preference. You can have less substrate.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Phil4Fish said:
29x1.5=43.5 pounds

If your bag of black sand you linked weighs 20 pounds, then you can buy 2 bags and be totally fine.

It's really more about preference. You can have less substrate.
Im not sure because i read toxic gas or something forms in dead pockets anf i dont want to have deal with.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
Im not sure because i read toxic gas or something forms in dead pockets anf i dont want to have deal with.
Just get some Malaysia trumpet snails to take care of anaerobic gas'. They burrow through the substrate keeping it oxygenated.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
danhutchins said:
Just get some Malaysia trumpet snails to take care of anaerobic gas'. They burrow through the substrate keeping it oxygenated.
So is 1.5 inches of sand hetter than 2? How many pounds of sand would it take for it to be 1.5 or 2 inches?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom