How Much Sand For A 29 Gallon Fish Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by BettaFishKeeper4302, May 21, 2018.

1. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

I want to get black sand for my 29 but dont know how much to get. I read some artucles but none of them helped. An exact answer would be much appreciated.

2. Phil4Fish

Phil4Fish New Member Member

Really depends on how deep you want your substrate. A good measure is ~1.5 pounds of substrate per gallon tank size.

Also, here is a tool:  

Just get the weight and then check how much your black sand bag weighs. Divide the total by the bag amount to see how many bags you'll need to buy.

3. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

How much for a "29 gallon"

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I have a 34 gallon with s foot print similar to a 29. I wanted sand, but didn’t want the risk if anaerobic bacteria that can occur with >2 inch depth. I bought a 59# bag of BDBS & it worked great.

5. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Best that I remember, I used about 35 pounds of BDBS in my 20 long (same footprint as a 29).

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Just buy a bag that you would estimate to be enough. Then, shoot for a depth of 1.5-2” substrate depth. I don’t have experience with any kinds of blac( sands, so it may be different than other substrates.

7. Phil4Fish

Phil4Fish New Member Member

29x1.5=43.5 pounds

If your bag of black sand you linked weighs 20 pounds, then you can buy 2 bags and be totally fine.

It's really more about preference. You can have less substrate.

8. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Im not sure because i read toxic gas or something forms in dead pockets anf i dont want to have deal with.

9. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Just get some Malaysia trumpet snails to take care of anaerobic gas'. They burrow through the substrate keeping it oxygenated.

10. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

So is 1.5 inches of sand hetter than 2? How many pounds of sand would it take for it to be 1.5 or 2 inches?

11. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

43.5lbs it was already answered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice