How much sand for 40 breeder?

KingJamal2

Well Known
Hello,

Do y’all think that 30 pounds of caribsea super natural sand will be enough to put 2 inches around the whole tank, with some hills in the back?

Dimensions are 36” long by 18” wide

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
FishBoy101 said:
2 inches deep is what I like to do. 30 pounds probably won't be enough.
Ok, how about 40? I have Black sand in there right now, and I used about 75-80 percent of a 50 pound bag for a 1-1 1/2 inch layer

Pariah

Although I have never used that brand, I will say that I have approximately 40# of PFS in one of my 40B and it gave me about an inch of depth. In my other 40B I have 50# of BDBM and it's maybe 1.5" deep. If all things are +/- about equal, I'd guess you'd want twice your initial estimate for around 2".

CTYankee79

40 might be enough but I’d probably buy that third bag. I have supernatural in my 40 breeder and I actually used 60lbs on just the left 2/3 of the tank. Of course it was mounded up to about 4 inches in several places but I was surprised how much it took.

mimo91088

Well Known
KingJamal2 said:
Ok, how about 40? I have Black sand in there right now, and I used about 75-80 percent of a 50 pound bag for a 1-1 1/2 inch layer
Based on this it sounds like maybe 50lb then?

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
mimo91088 said:
Based on this it sounds like maybe 50lb then?
Yep, sounds like it. Good news is, it’s only 5 bucks for a 10 pound bag, and I’m gonna get 10% off on top of that if I do curbside pickup

New Threads