How Much Sand Do I Need For A 20 Litre Tank? (5 Gallons)

Hazzy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a new 20 litre tank (roughly 5 gallons) that I set up last night and have started cycling. I want a natural sand colour, how many Kilograms of sand would I need for this tank? I've heard pool filter sand is cheap but when I looked it is only sold in large quantities. I will be planting the tank so id probably need about 2 inches of sand.

Also if you know anywhere in the UK where I can get natural coloured sand for a decent price I would appreciate it. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, Preferably £10 or less.

Thanks!

OP
Hazzy

Hazzy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, i've just found this. Should be safe right? and its pretty cheap

RyleighJ

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The general recommendation is one pound of substrate for every gallon of substrate, but I like to use one and a half or two pounds per gallon for planted tanks.

Kerina

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RyleighJ said:
The general recommendation is one pound of substrate for every gallon of substrate, but I like to use one and a half or two pounds per gallon for planted tanks.
That's 0.5kg per 4 liters. So in your tank that's 2.5kg for yoyr tank. It also depends on the shape of the tank. To have 2 inches of sand in the tank that's is long rather then tall you will probably need more then 5 kg of sand.

Play sand is safe for the tank, but it tends to be dirty and very fine grain. Personally when I was buying sand for yhat size tank I ended up choosing aquarium shop sand.

New Threads