How Much Sand Do I Need For A 20 Litre Tank? (5 Gallons)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Hazzy, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Hazzy

HazzyValued MemberMember

I have a new 20 litre tank (roughly 5 gallons) that i set up last night and have started cycling. I want a natural sand colour, how many Kilograms of sand would i need for this tank? I've heard pool filter sand is cheap but when I looked it is only sold in large quantities. I will be planting the tank so id probably need about 2 inches of sand.

Also if you know anywhere in the UK where I can get natural coloured sand for a decent price I would appreciate it. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, Preferably £10 or less.

Thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    Hazzy

HazzyValued MemberMember

3. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamperWell Known MemberMember

That should work great! Just rinse it really well before you put it in the tank :)

4. RyleighJ

RyleighJValued MemberMember

The general recommendation is one pound of substrate for every gallon of substrate, but I like to use one and a half or two pounds per gallon for planted tanks.

5. Kerina

KerinaValued MemberMember

Thats 0.5kg per 4 liters. So in your tank thats 2.5kg for yoyr tank. It also depends on the shape of the tank. To have 2 inches of sand in the tank thats is long rather then tall you will probably need more then 5 kg of sand.

Play sand is safe for the tank, but it tends to be dirty and very fine grain. Personally when I was buying sand for yhat size tank I ended up choosing aquarium shop sand.