How Much Sand Do I Need For A 20 Litre Tank? (5 Gallons)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Hazzy, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Hazzy

Hazzy Valued Member Member

I have a new 20 litre tank (roughly 5 gallons) that i set up last night and have started cycling. I want a natural sand colour, how many Kilograms of sand would i need for this tank? I've heard pool filter sand is cheap but when I looked it is only sold in large quantities. I will be planting the tank so id probably need about 2 inches of sand.

Also if you know anywhere in the UK where I can get natural coloured sand for a decent price I would appreciate it. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, Preferably £10 or less.

Thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    Hazzy

Hazzy Valued Member Member

Okay, i've just found this. Should be safe right? and its pretty cheap :)  

3. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper Well Known Member Member

That should work great! Just rinse it really well before you put it in the tank :)

4. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

The general recommendation is one pound of substrate for every gallon of substrate, but I like to use one and a half or two pounds per gallon for planted tanks.

5. K

Kerina Valued Member Member

Thats 0.5kg per 4 liters. So in your tank thats 2.5kg for yoyr tank. It also depends on the shape of the tank. To have 2 inches of sand in the tank thats is long rather then tall you will probably need more then 5 kg of sand.

Play sand is safe for the tank, but it tends to be dirty and very fine grain. Personally when I was buying sand for yhat size tank I ended up choosing aquarium shop sand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice