How Much Pool Filter Sand for 75 Gallon Tank?

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How deep do you want the sand to be? Do you plan on having live plants in there? Do you plan on keeping fish that burrow in the sand?

EDIT: I just did a quick search and found . You put in the length and width of the tank and then the depth of sand that you want and they estimate how many pounds of sand you would need.

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
man looks like for 2 inches of depth ill need 100lbs

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Luckily for you pool filter sand is relatively cheap. If you were doing something like eco-complete or flourite black sand it would cost you a small fortune lol.

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
about two mile away is a sand company that pulls sand out of the local river, they filter, wash and sift the sand, its runs about 2.50 for a 50 gallon drum, hehe

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jwokmuba2 said:
about two mile away is a sand company that pulls sand out of the local river, they filter, wash and sift the sand, its runs about 2.50 for a 50 gallon drum, hehe
You still have to wash, wash and wash it some more. That kind of sand is very difficult to get clean.

I used one 50 pound bag of pool filter sand in my 75 gallon tank.
Carol

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
check out my video, I improved since this vid, or you could just put a hose in the bottom of a bucket, fill it with sand, turn on the water, let it fill and circulate, for about 2-3 hour, you have to watch your water flow so you don't just push all of the sand out. but it works, no labor intensive mixing

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got me a plain bag of sand from Wal-Mart went to pay for it (With other groceries) and told the lady we had it and she said okay but never rang it up (free bag)... but anyway..

I've been using it for awhile now and it works great too (just gotta wash, wash, wash). It's pretty cheap too.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could stick a hose in a bucket with sand and it on a low pressure, and just give it regular stirs, when you give it a stir and no dust or anything goes into the water then you know the sand is clean.
I know, it takes ages, but it works like a charm.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Freshwater Substrate/Gravel - Sand section of the forum.
Thanks!
Ken

Ranga your question has been moved to here:

Thanks!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads