How Much Plants And Gravel Per Pound Of Fish?

1. m

matija Valued Member Member

How much plants and gravel need per pound of fish(common carp for food but they are very similar to koi fish) so water would be filtered.fish will be in one pond and plants in other pond that are connected by pipes if needed.
    Ps:how big pond per pound of fish

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

There’s not really any correct pound per fish, it would be different opinions. For me, each Koi should get 100 gallons. For facy goldfish, each one should get 30 gallons. For gravel, each gallon gets 1-1.5 pounds of gravel. Hope this helps.

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Considering a common goldfish gets up to get 12 inches, you’ll need a 100-200 gallon pond for it. There is no “plants and gravel per pound of fish” rule? I really don’t know what you’re trying to say.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Koi need a base of 1000 gallons for a single one, and common goldfish need 130 gallons minimum. Gravel/substrate should be 1-2 inches thick, but actually is not required. For the plants, it really depends on what you're trying to do. Are you trying to reduce nitrates or make an aquaponics system?

5. OP
    OP
    m

I thinked to put two pools one next to another an make pump pump water from fish pool to filter pool where gravel is mechanical and bio media and plant remove nitrates and add some bonus oxygen

6. Rohit mess

Rohit mess Valued Member Member

Simple answer is,
    "More the merrier"
    You can never overdo with filteration.

Also if the entire pond is big enough then you do not have to worry about fish and pond volume.

7. OP
    OP
    m

Pond is 4000 gallon (intex pool) and i want to keep 3-4 fish up to 5 kg (10 lb)

Or will i keep just small red fin perch and mosquito fish

8. Rohit mess

Rohit mess Valued Member Member

If the fishes are about 1feet~2feet with mass of 5kg each, you can house 3-5 easily in 4k gallon volume.
    They just need some nice swimming place and that volune is enough for them (or better than what i have seen like big bass (multiples) in tanks which is at max a 1000 gallon).
    So you are in a good position.
    And your filteration plan is also nice.
    So go ahead mate!

9. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks

I used calculation similar to aquaponics in which one pound of fish needs 25 liters of media