How Much Open Sand For Corys?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by blissfulbunny, Apr 11, 2017.

1. blissfulbunny

blissfulbunny Valued Member Member

Hi I am building a 29gal from scratch. It has Tahitian Moon Sand. I will be using inserts and fert with my plants.

My rocks/driftwood are in place. I want to finish planning plants so I can plant while waiting for my cycle to get going.

QUESTION: How much sand do I need to leave open for a school of 5-6 Corys? How full of plants can I go while still leaving these little guys plenty of room to play? I do have a nice big piece of "driftwood" that I could attach some rhizome plants to, leaving more sand open.

PS I am looking at smaller Corys like Panda

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Angelfish4Life

Angelfish4Life Valued Member Member

I believe @Coradee is a good resource for this. My corys love to hide under plant leaves and structures.... I also have a lot of open sand in my tank though. Here's a pic.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The corys love nosing through the sand too.

3. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

Wow that's a nice big tank for them! Mine is a 29 gallon.

4. Angelfish4Life

Angelfish4Life Valued Member Member

A 29 would be lovely too! They mostly stay on the substrate, so I'd keep a lot open, but large leaved plants would provide cover and also allow for space underneath to reach the sand. :)
    (My corys love to hide under things and run around only at select times.)

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

As long as you have some open areas for them to forage then the corys will be fine, from the pic it looks like there's quite a bit so you'll have some happy corys :)

6. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

yes, I will try to add a good amount of greenery while leaving a lot of sand open. Maybe if I put skinny/small plants here and there in the open places they'll still do good. I'll be planting mostly at the edges and tied to the wood.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice